Starr Academy: Year Two- Chapter 7

Seven

    I stared up at the beautiful sky as I laid flat on my board. The waves were small today, but I didn’t mind. It gave me the opportunity to just lay back and relax. To recall my summer before I have to leave tomorrow.

    Marek and I have been surfing as much as we could. He had fallen off his board a couple times when he first started out. I had giggled as he playfully fell a couple of times on purpose. Now he was getting really good.

    I had seen my brother for a second last week. But he was intercepted by our other brother. Rod managed to keep Derek away from me. I wondered why? Why now he was acting like my brother? Maybe he was changing? I prayed that was it.

    I had found out that Patrick was a water type. That was how he was so good at surfing. He loved the water. He was also going to college in newport news to be an oceanographer or something in a field related to it.

    The water dipped me before I felt a hand wrap around mine. I looked over and found Marek laying on his board. He threaded his fingers in mine. “I’ve drifted a bit away from us.”

    I giggled. “Sorry. I’ll fix that.” I closed my eyes and felt the water tug on our boards pulling us against the normal current. Something Patrick had shown me to do. There were only somethings that you learned outside of the classroom.

    “Are you ready to go back?”

    I smiled. “Yeah. I loved having a break, but I’m ready to learn more. I’ve also missed everyone else. All our friends.”

    I heard Marek sigh. “I know what you mean. We’ve become like a family.” He gave a short laugh. “I would think we’re the parents.”

    I giggled. “That’s not so bad I think.”

    He chuckled lifting our hands out of the water. “Good. That makes you my wife.” He wiggled his eyebrows as he kissed my hand.

    I blushed. “We’re still too young to be thinking like that.”

    He shrugged. “You’re the only one I want. But I agree. I’ll wait till we’ve graduated first.”

    I giggled as I lifted a small ball of water and threw it at him. It hit him in the side. “Hey!” He said before we started having a water fight. It was fun and I giggled the whole time.

    After a while, we glided back to the shore and took our surfboards up to our room. His parents met back up with us in the lobby of the hotel. We’ve eaten at the hotel’s restaurant a couple of times besides breakfast. Their desserts are what I love. Always different from day to day with only two staples. A glorious cheesecake made fresh daily and a chocolate cake that melts in your mouth. Sufficed to say, Marek and I tend to order a dessert from room service every night.

    As we reach the restaurant we had agreed to, a group of people were coming out. I was accidentally bumped into. I turned to apologize and came face to face with my older brother. He was stunned too.

    He seemed to look like he felt awkward right now. “Hey Hope.” He didn’t sound like his normal arrogant self. Something had changed in him. I could feel it.

    “Hi Roderick.” I looked to Marek and his parents. “This is my big brother Roderick. Roderick, this is the Knightlies.” Marek smiled as he slid his hand around my waist. “You know Marek. He’s actually my boyfriend.” I blushed a little.

    To my utter surprise, Rod stuck his hand out to Marek’s parents. “Nice to meet you.”

    Marek’s parents, though puzzled, shook his hand. Marek and I both had the same worry about what Rodney would say or do. But soon his was making an excuse and left.

    “He’s a lot different from your other brother. Much nicer.” Marek’s mom commented as we entered the restaurant.

    I smiled a little. “He’s different. I think he’s maturing and seeing things differently.” I sighed a little. “I kind of wished he’d matured sooner. He might have been able to go to Starr too and learned about of family’s history and himself.”

    Marek’s dad smiled. “There’s always a chance he could go to one of the universities that off beginning element classes.” He winked at me. “And maybe you could teach him more too.”

    I giggled as we waited for a table to become available. “I doubt he’d ever listen to me.”

    Marek’s dad draped an arm around my shoulder and leaned down. “Well then, you’ll just have to show him that he can’t mess with you when it came to the elements.” He ruffled my hair making a few braids I got done to drape in front of my face.

    A few days ago Marek’s mom convinced me to get a few strands braided with her. We were bonding more. I had agreed and got them done just behind both of my ears. I thought that was a neat idea. That way I could pull up all my hair but those strands. Or have them up in my ponytail. Either way it looks good to me.

    I move the strand back behind my ear before we went to our table. My favorite place to sit is in a booth and we seem to always get a booth. Marek and I on one side, his parents on the other. We were basically thinking that the different couples were on their own side.

    It didn’t take the waitress long to come and ask our orders. One thing I really liked was that sometimes we all order the same thing. We’d always laugh after the waitress walks away. I knew I was playing off of what they were hungry for, but still.

    “I’m still surprised that you’re the only Lund going to Starr Academy.” Marek’s dad pondered out loud.

    I sighed. “I know. I’ve gotten many people wondering that too. But there’s not a simple answer to it. In a nutshell, I’m the only one willing to accept that which is different. Most of my family would turn their noses up if you told them about magic. Most are too serious about that which their religion deems unnatural even if its the most natural thing in the whole world.”

    Marek’s dad nodded. “That does make your brother Derek’s actions and words make more sense.” He took a drink of his scotch and coke. “To deny any part of yourself is to be incomplete.”

    I nodded. “I still feel bad that he has closed himself off of what he could be. I guess that’s why my mom is similar to him.”

    Marek took my hand under the table and squeezed. “You have us now.” He whispered to me.

    I smiled at him. “And I’m very grateful for that.”

    Our food came out and our conversation took on a different topic. The talk about my family was left for a more enjoyable subject. The upcoming year. Mainly the school year.

    “I can’t wait to see how you do in the competition.” Marek said smiling.

    I bit my lip. “But wouldn’t it be wrong for me to participate? I have six elements. Double your own and you won every battle last year. It’d be cheating if I were to enter.”

    Marek frowned. “I don’t think so, but we can always talk to Headmistress Alexi to come up with a plan.” Then he smiled. “I myself would love to watch you in all your glory.”

    I giggled. “I bet everyone would be. They may even run if they were up against me.”

    “Or work harder to take you down.” His father said tapping his chin. “I can see why your worried my dear.”

    “Well. We’ll talk later and figure it out with our wise and powerful Headmistress.” Marek said as he finished his dinner.

    Soon we were all done and ordering dessert. Marek and I held hands under the table. Our fingers intertwined together. I felt so very happy to have him as my boyfriend. My first and I hoped to be my only boyfriend ever.