Starr Academy: Year Two- Chapter 37

Thirty-Seven

Gilliett sat there with his jaw hanging open and gawking at me. I had just told him that I had found my ancestor's private study and his once thought to be lost private journals. Then I told him what I had planned for my final year.

His mouth started to open and closed of its own as he tried to form words. "Are you sure you want to try something so difficult?"

I smiled. "I'm a Lund. When we are set on doing something like this, we always manage to do what we intend to do."

He chuckled. "I'm happy to see that strong spirit back in full force."

I took a deep breathe. "I feel so much more like myself now."

He smiled. "That's so good. But to create such a powerful mythical creature is a difficult thing to accomplish."

I smiled back at him. "But I have you and Melerick to guide me through it. With the two of you, nothing is out of my reach." I shifted leaning back in the giant pillow. "How better to impress any school I decide to go to, then to create a phoenix while still in high school."

He laughed with his whole body. "I would have no doubt all the greatest schools would be lining up to beg you to attend with a full scholarship if you have a phoenix on your shoulder."

I smiled. "I might even be able to go to Stafford while my big brother is there."

Gilliett smiled. "So you've heard?"

Nodding, I couldn't help have a proud smile on my face. "My brother was so excited when he spoke with me. He couldn't believe that an advisor came to him and talked with him about Stafford personally. He doesn't even care that he'd be living with a roommate or that he had some special initiation for the particular classes he'd have to take while he was there. He was even more stoked when he said he didn't have to decide his path for the first year. He was advised against deciding outright."

Gilliett bowed his head. "I'm so happy for you and your family." He rose and pulled me up. "And if I'm not mistaken, you have some last bit of packing to do before you leave in a few days."

I smiled feeling a little guiltily for waiting till now before I told him my plans for next year. I just couldn't stay away from the hidden study and then I got a bit addicted to being in there just reading. Mel, the Melerick that was created by my ancestor, had to boot me out a few times to I eat or rested.

The last time I was there, Mel handed me a piece of paper with the phoenix emblem. The paper was actually a very stiff, very thin cloth that looked like paper to the untrained eye. He told me that it was a portable way to get into the room without being in my dorm room. When I leave the room, the emblem on the stone with vanish till I return to the room. Melerick had embedded many spells on that emblem on both the stone and the cloth.

There also something else. The emblem only shows up if I'm touching the cloth. When I place my hand on the phoenix, I need to be thinking of the room or him to get back in it from the cloth. More safeguards Melerick had placed just so only a true Lund could enter.

I found out the other day that only I period could get in. Franklin had begged me in taking him into the room. I told him how I get there and he looked curiously at the emblem. But when he touched it, nothing happened. We tried together, nothing. Mel later told me that only a true Lund that had the same elements as Melerick could use the emblem to get to the private study.

No one knew that I had a portable emblem, and I wasn't going to tell. This was my secret place and I was going to keep it that way. All anyone knew was that I only could get to where Melerick hid his journals and that I didn't want to change it. I wanted to keep a piece of history all my own. Both Theo and Headmistress Alexi understood and encourage me to keep it that way as long as I wanted.

~~~

Marek stood in front of me a bit awkwardly in the airport. I shook my head as I bridged the gap between us and hugged him. He was shocked for a second before he held me tight.

"It's alright to hug me. I'm still the same Hope, just..."

He gulped and tightened his arms. "Just that we're not dating any more." Marek pulled back and looked at me. "I just want to get on my knees right now and beg for you to reconsider, but I know that I can't. It wouldn't be right to you."

I sighed heavily placing my hands on his chest. "I know that this hurts you, but maybe some time apart on my terms will be best for both of us." Shaking my head, a single tear fell. "I don't do this to hurt either of us. Just give it some time."

He took my hands in his and kissed each set of knuckles one by one. "I will do anything you ask of me. Know that I'll always be there for you. Just call and I'll be there as quickly as magically possible."

I frowned a little. "And if you should ever find someone you like..."

He shook his head furiously. "There will only be you."

I placed my finger over his lips. "But should you, you have my greatest blessing to try. Don't just wait for me. Be happy too."

He pouted against my fingers. "You make me happy though."

I sighed heavily and thanking heaven above when we were called to board the school's jet to take us to BWI. Marek let me go, but stayed behind me. Franklin shook his head as he took my hand. Franklin has expressed how he didn't like how attached Marek was to me. Franklin had called Marek clingy. Though Marek had regulated himself to not overwhelm me, he was still too much in Franklin's opinion.

Franklin even took the only seat next to me making Marek frown as he took the seat behind us. Zander had left yesterday asking if I wanted to go with him to his home. I kindly declined and gave him a small kiss on the lips just for him as a thank you for staying by my side throughout everything that happened. He even asked my if he could take me out on a date. I declined that too.

I needed to be free for now. It wasn't against any of the guys, just that I needed to find my feet again. Having a boyfriend right now or before I'm ready would just be a distraction. I didn't mind it before, but now I knew I didn't want one. There is wisdom in searching by yourself and not having someone by your side. It is this I need to experience for now. My heart will tell me when I was ready for a real relationship again. For now, it was good being me.