eight - always a pleasure

Atla was sat back in the chair opposite Dumbledore, still a bit confused after the journey to 1950s England.

'So.. I'm...' she said hesitantly.

'The descendant of Merlin.'

'Fucking hell.' She said, before slapping her hand over her mouth.

'I understand your shock, and I will excuse the language, Miss Harlow.' Dumbledore chuckled, eyes twinkling.

'But - but -'

'All will be explained, Miss Harlow.'

***

'As you saw in that memory, they had discovered that some of the descendants of powerful wizards had special skills,' Dumbledore explained, 'they called these people descendials.'

'And I'm one?'

'You are, Atla.'

'Of Merlin?'

'They made a law that forbade any descendants of these five powerful wizards from having children. They wanted to stop the creation of more skilled wizards, especially if these wizards chose to fight against the ministry.' Dumbledore said.

'But I'm here.'

'Yes. Your parents, your mother specifically, broke this rule, giving birth to you in 1960. When the Committee for Order and Regulation of Skilled Beings, or CORSB, discover this, they took away your biological parents' custody.'

'What?'

'You are adopted.'

'WHAT?'

'It seems, however, that you have inherited the power of Merlin. That is what you displayed earlier today.' Dumbledore explained.

'What if I hurt someone?' Atla asked, worriedly.

'I have decided that from now on you will visit my office every Monday and Sunday evening for training in how to use your skills.'

'Um.. thank you?'

'Remember, Atla, be careful who you trust with this information. Bad wizards may want to use you and your powers against others, so you must learn to both control and hide them.' Dumbledore warned.

'Okay.'

'You are a descendial. Perhaps one of the most powerful ones ever, and maybe the only one left. It's incredible, but it also puts you and everyone around you in danger. Do you understand?'

'Yes, Professor.'

'I am sure you would like to go and think this over, so I will see you soon for your first lesson. Remember, be careful who you trust.'

'I have one question, Professor.'

'Ask away, Atla.'

'I'm a metamorphagus, or I think I am. But I can only turn my hair and eyes red, so am I really one? Or is this part of being a... a..'

'Descendial? Yes. It appears that this is one of the traits you inherited, misdiagnosed as being a metamorphagus.'

'Right..'

'Run along, Miss Harlow, I'm sure your friends will be anxiously waiting to hear your news.'

'Thank you, Professor.'

***

Lily and Atla sat opposite eachother, cross-legged on one of the beds in their empty dorm room.

'Descendial?' Lily questioned, 'I've never heard of that!'

'I think they keep it out of the books because they were thought to be wiped out a while ago, and apparently we are dangerous.' Atla explained.