thirty - domestic bliss

"Try it a bit louder," Lily urged, "command the wand."

"I'm trying," Atla muttered, "bombarda!"

The book she had been trying to explode just wobbled and toppled over onto the desk. Atla groaned.

"It's okay-" Lily began before being cut off by a frustrated Atla.

"I hate this!" Atla exclaimed, "I used to be able to do it without a thought and now I can't do it at all."

"You just need practice," Lily said softly, hanging an arm around Atla's shoulders.

"I'm basically on first-year level," Atla mumbled, staring at the floor.

"It's okay, Atla."

Atla just leaned her head into Lily's shoulder and embraced the warmth.

"I've got to go," Lily said quietly after a moment.

"Where?"

"Hogsmeade. I'm meeting Miles," Lily replied, unhooking her arm from Atla's neck.

"You're ditching me in crisis for some... some boy?"

"Not just some boy. He's my boyfriend."

Atla's eyed widened in shock, her mouth falling open.

"YOU HAVE A BOYFRIEND?"

"Yeah."

"And you didn't tell me?" Atla asked, her voice quiet with hurt. Her and Lily had always told eachother everything.

You haven't told her about James, the voice in Atla's head reminded her.

She told that voice to shut up.

Lily looked upset at Atla's words.

"Actually, I did," she said, a slightly colder tone, "but you've been in a daze for the last few weeks! This is the first time you even seem alive. I don't blame you for that, but don't be upset if you miss things."

Tears glistened on the surface of Lily's eyes.

Atla didn't know what to say. She hadn't considered how it might have affected her friends. When there are so many doubts and voices in your head, it's hard to listen to the voices outside.

"I'm sorry, Lils," Atla responded after a moment, "I'll be better. I'm trying."

"I know you are. I'll see you later, Atla," Lily replied, a weak smile on her face.

The redhead began to walk out before Atla stopped her.

"Lily?"

"Yes?"

"You look really pretty. Miles won't be able to stop looking at you."

"Thank you. That's the plan."

~•*•~

The air was cold, chilling him to the bone. It was the kind of cold that bit at you, hiding behind a bright sun that offers no warmth. James shivered as he approached the portrait, "Courage."

The portrait swung open to reveal the Gryffindor common room. This was James' sixth year at Hogwarts and he still marvelled every time he went to the common room. The fire was crackling in the corner and the plush armchairs were covered in soft knitted blankets. The whole thing felt unreal, like a painting.

It was quiet, today. Everyone else was in Hogsmeade but James had just finished a detention, meaning he had to stay behind. He didn't mind though - it meant he got the common room to himself. He rubbed his hands together for warmth as he took a seat in front of the fire, sinking into the small sofa.

Suddenly, a pair of hands covered his eyes.

"Guess who?"

James smiled. He knew that honey-sweet tone anywhere.

"Let me guess... is it Snivellus?" he joked, earning himself a swat to the head.

"I hate you," she said, removing her hands and flopping down on to the sofa beside him. Atla was like the common room in many ways, James thought. She got more beautiful every time he saw her, her eyes getting brighter and her hair more vivid. He loved the red dyed parts that hinted to who she was. He loved her smile and her laugh, a melody greater than any other. Hell, he even loved when she insulted him.

"Hi, love," he said, swinging an arm around her. Atla tucked her slipper-covered feet under her and moved closer, leaning her head onto his chest. It was moments like these that James wished their relationship wasn't a secret. He saw how all the other couples in his year kissed and hugged and smiled together and wanted it for himself.

"Hi," Atla said, her words vibrating against his chest. Suddenly she began to giggle slightly, pretty little breathy laughs that made James' stomach flutter.

"What are you laughing at?" he asked in confusion.

"Do you remember that night, a while ago, when those Slytherins attacked me?"

"Yes..." James said, "I don't think that's very funny."

"No, I know," Atla laughed, "but afterwards when I was healing your cuts in this very place..."

"What about it?" James asked with a smile. He remembered that night very well.

Atla chuckled, "I was trying so, so hard not to stare at your muscles."

James let out a loud laugh, "What?"

"Oh come on," Atla replied, "you know that you're ripped. But I would never have imagined that I'd end up with my head laying against that same muscular chest."

"You're ridiculous, you know that?"

"I know."

After a warm few minutes of comfortable silence, Atla glanced up to look at James. The flickering light of the fire cast shadows along his jaw and lit up his hazel eyes. He looked so peaceful. Atla was jealous. What was it like to not have a million thoughts racing through your head every second?

Then, James looked down at her. A smile spread across his lips, a smile so cute that Atla had no choice but to return it. She tilted her head upwards and kissed him gently and briefly on the lips before pulling away again.

James shook his head slightly, dissatisfied. Staring into his eyes, Atla grinned again.

She liked where this was going.

~~~

a/n: sorry for the short chapter, but i'm going to post the next one at the same time to make up for it :)

ps: i love them as a couple