twenty two - riddle

Even during Christmas time, the atmosphere at Hogwarts was dark. The mistletoe and gingerbread was overshadowed by threats of a war, and the fear was almost tangible. Muggleborns no longer walked alone, instead choosing to travel in groups - there was safety in the herd. More and more articles were printed in the Daily Prophet, describing the dangers that began to grow outside the castle's walls.

It was enough to make anyone tense.

And James Potter had other - admittedly less important - worries too. Christmas Eve was tomorrow, meaning Atla's date was only 24 hours away. It shouldn't trouble him this much, except.. well.. James was used to being liked. And although Atla had never really liked him, he preferred her insults to complete radio silence.

And it was this that James was thinking about when Sirius strode into the shared dorm after quidditch practice that evening.

"Prongs!" Sirius exclaimed, "We need to go to the Ravenclaw party."

"Is there a reason for this?" James replied wearily. It had been a tiring day, and the Gryffindor team hadn't been playing as well as usual.

"It's our second-to-last year, mate, we have to go. Even Moony said he's up for it. So we begin operation 'get James a date to the party'," Sirius explained with a wild grin.

"And why do I have to get the date?"

"Remus says he's too busy for a girlfriend and I.. I don't want to. So, you up for it? I was thinking Daisy Johnson, she's a Ravenclaw I think. And she has a good arse." Sirius answered.

"Padfoot! You can't say that about girls!" James exclaimed.

"Why? It's true! Fine, she's really nice too. She let Remus borrow her Charms notes," said Sirius, "so is that a yes?"

The gears in James' head started to turn; if he asked out Daisy he could make Atla jealous, get into the party and maybe even have some fun. So in the end, he said, "Fine."

~•*•~

"Daisy!" James Potter exclaimed as he spotted the blonde head of hair that belonged to the Ravenclaw.

She turned round and greeted James with a smile. She is pretty, James thought. She had bright green eyes, outlined with eyeliner and her cheeks were dusted with freckles...

Atla has a few freckles.

James shook that from his thoughts and turned back to the present situation.

"Hiya, James," Daisy said, walking up to him.

"I was wondering whether you'd want to go out tomorrow night?" James asked with his classic smile.

"I'd love to! Oh wait.." she trailed off, "I'm going to the party then.."

"Oh..." James replied. This was going just as he had hoped.

"Well, why don't you come with me? It'll be a laugh," suggested Daisy.

Jackpot, James thought.

"Sounds great," answered James, "I'll meet you there at 8?"

"It's a date!" Daisy said excitedly, before turning and going to meet her friends.

When James heard an eruption of giggles as he walked away, he knew he had done his job.

~•*•~

"Lily, I am having a breakdown! I don't know what to wear!" Atla whined, lying on her bed which was (as usual) covered in layers of clothes.

"What you have on is fine." Lily assured her.

"I don't want just fine, Lils, Dylan Rigby is possibly the hottest boy in our year," Atla replied with a sigh, "I need to look heart-stoppingly beautiful. But not like I'm trying too hard, you know?"

"What about the leather skirt? It makes your bum look fab," Lily suggested, handing Atla the skirt.

Atla took it tentatively.

"You don't think it's too... slutty? Michael didn't like it when we were together..." she said nervously, picking distractedly at her nails.

Lily's features immediately softened.

"Atla, Michael was an idiot. He gave you up for what? Ella fucking Spruce? His judgement means nothing," she said soothingly, "you should dress for you."

"I do like the skirt..." Atla mumbled.

"Then wear it! It would look killer with my red bell-sleeve top," Lily replied.

"Okay, I'll wear it. Thanks, Lils."

"No problem," Lily said with a smile, "the red clashes with my hair anyway."

~•*•~

It was 8:00 PM, and James was stood outside the Ravenclaw common room with Remus and Sirius. Reaching for the door, he hesitated for a moment. Was this really a good idea? He didn't even like Daisy that much. But remembering how he felt when Atla agreed to a date with Dylan, James grabbed the door handle and pulled.

The door didn't budge.

"Fuck," whispered James under his breath.

"What's taking so long?" Sirius asked impatiently.

"We forgot about the bloody riddle," James explained.

"Well, knock on the door and let's see what it says," Remus added, "it might be an easy one."

So James sharply tapped his knuckles on the ornately carved door. A second later, a small metal eagle appeared on the door and began to speak.

"What has to be broken before you can use it?"

They paused.

"Well that's fucking stupid," Sirius whined, "lot's of things have to be broken before you use them. Glow sticks, for example."

"Wrong." the door knocker replied.

"What about... trees?" James said half heartedly.

"Trees?" Sirius laughed, "You are mental."

"He's right, James, tree is a bit of a shit answer, mate." Remus said.

James glared at them both, then the door knocker said, "Wrong."

"Your turn, Moony," James muttered.

Remus stepped up to the door confidently and said, "A piñata."

Both James and Sirius let out snorts of laughter.

"Hey, it could still be right," Remus defended himself.

"Wrong."

A crestfallen look washed across Remus' face.

"Oh god, we're gonna be here all night," Sirius exclaimed before dramatically sliding down the wall and onto the floor.

A few minutes and a few even more shit guesses later, the three boys heard footsteps along the corridor.

Lily and Atla appeared, both looking confused at the boys' behavior. By this point, Remus and James had joined their friend on the floor.

"What are you doing?" Lily asked suspiciously.

"Can't solve the riddle," Sirius mumbled.

James noticed that Atla refused to meet his eyes.

Atla sighed and stepped over Remus legs to the door.

"Excuse me, please could you repeat the riddle?" she politely asked the eagle head.

The knocker repeated again, "What has to be broken before you can use it?"

James watched Atla consider this for a second before confidently answering, "An egg."

They all held their breath.

"Correct."

The door swung open.

A small smile appeared on Atla's face, although she squealed when Sirius lifted her off her feet in a hug. A weird sensation materialised in James' stomach.

Was this... jealousy?

No.

No way.