nineteen - Three Broomsticks

two weeks later...

The Christmas holidays had finally arrived, and unlike most years, Atla had chosen to stay at Hogwarts with Lily.

Atla Harlow stared at her reflection in the floor-length mirror. Chunky black boots paired with flared jeans and a black halter neck top. Her ears were lined with gold studs with hoops through her lobes. She wore a simple gold nose ring to match. For her makeup, smokey black eyeliner and red lipstick.

It was a simple outfit but Atla was happy with how she looked. She tried not to think about how cold she would be.

"Ready, Lils?" she said loudly.

"Coming!" Lily's muffled reply came from the bathroom, which had its door flung open a second later. Lily rushed out, dressed in a pretty green dress and black fleeced jacket. Her vibrant hair was in a half up style, with two small buns crowning her head.

"You look so pretty, Lil."

"You too, my love." Lily said with a smile as she linked her arm with Atla's. After a week packed with homework, a trip to Hogsmeade was like a refreshing breath of air.

As they walked along the cobbled street to Hogsmeade, Atla tried her best to pay attention to Lily's chatter, but she couldn't help that her mind was occupied. It had been two weeks, two weeks, and she hadn't as much as spoken to James Potter. Perhaps she'd read the situation wrong, perhaps he didn't really want to date her, perhaps - and this one stung the most - it was all a cruel joke. Atla tried to shake the thought from her head as the pair of girls approached the Three Broomsticks.

"Bloody hell, it's packed." exclaimed Atla.

"You'd think it wouldn't be busy," Lily replied, "considering so many students went home for Christmas."

"When have we ever been that lucky?" Atla muttered as the pair walked through the door.

Warmth and the scent of butter beer hit them like a stupefy spell, enveloping them in pure comfort. Atla glanced around at the many students, professors and various other wizards, silently looking for a space.

"Right, you order and I'll find us a seat. One butter beer please!" Lily ordered.

"I don't think there's any-" Atla began, but Lily had already disappeared into the crowd. She shook her head and approached the bar.

"Excuse me." Atla said to catch the attention of Madam Rosmerta.

"Yes, my dear?" the woman replied, turning around.

"Please could I have two butter beers?"

"Of course," Madam Rosmerta replied, "just give me a second."

Atla tapped her fingers on the sticky bar as she waited, glancing around the busy pub. Where on earth was Lily going to find a table? She tried to find her friend, keeping an eye out for flaming hair. In the corner of her eye, Atla saw a smudge of ginger, she'd finally found Lily!

Oh wait, that was just Gideon and Fabian Prewett.

Rolling her eyes, Atla turned back to the bar where she caught the eye of a Ravenclaw sixth-year she recognised.

"Dylan," she greeted him with a smile, "are you ready for Gryffindor to beat you after new year?"

Dylan Rigsby just chuckled at her taunt, smiling a perfectly-white smile at her. Atla couldn't help but notice his sharp jaw and fluffy brown hair.

"You're just lucky you have Potter." he replied.

"Please," Atla shot back, "we all know I'm the star player."