thirteen - tea thief

It had been a week since Halloween, and a week since Atla had spoken to Michael. It wasn't that she had been avoiding him, but she hadn't really had a reason to say anything to the boy. There was also the added problem that every time she saw his wretched little face, she wanted to curse him all the way to Azkaban.

So when she was halfway buried under clothes and realised that she had left her favourite jumper in his dorm, there was only one word that could describe what she was feeling.

'Shit.' Atla swore under her breath.

'Language!' scolded Lily, who was laying on her bed and reading a book, with Loki curled up on her stomach.

'Oh, fuck off, Lils,' Atla shot back, her head appearing from under the bed, 'you swear like a bloody sailor! And stop stealing my cat!'

'I didn't steal him...'

Atla stood up, her hair tangled and uniform dusty from the searching through piles of scarcely-worn clothes.

'Lily, I need your help.' Atla said, a pleasing look in her eyes.

'That's become a habit of yours,' Lily replied softly, 'what is it this time, dear?'

'I have to talk to him.'

'Potter?'

'No!' Atla replied indignantly, 'why would it be him?'

Atla hadn't yet told Lily about the incident in the astronomy tower, and she didn't plan on telling the girl. It wasn't that she didn't trust her, but Lily could be... judgemental.

'I don't know,' Lily said, 'he's always staring at you.'

'He's always staring at me?' Atla asked curiously, before shaking her head and cutting herself off, 'never mind. I need to talk to Michael.'

Lily looked at her best friend with a pitying look in her eyes.

'Why?'

'He has my jumper.'

'The nice one with the stitching?'

'Yes.'

'That absolute dickhe-'

'Language!' Atla laughed.

***

Unfortunately for Atla, when she spotted Michael at the Ravenclaw table he was not alone. Ella Spruce, the girl who he'd been caught kissing, was sat in his lap and playing with his hair.

It was a sight that made Atla want to hurl. She used to play with that hair. But Atla just took a deep breath and, keeping her lovely jumper in mind, walked swiftly over to the pair.

'Good morning, Dickhead,' she looked pointedly at Michael, before turning her burning gaze to Ella, 'bitch.'

Ella looked furious and Michael just wore a shocked look on his face. It was clear he wasn't used to this side of Atla, especially not aimed at him.

'Ella, love, perhaps you should go.' he said softly to the blonde in his lap.

'Whatever.' Ella said coldly before stalking off to a bunch of Hufflepuff, all glaring at Atla. The young Gryffindor just ignored it and turned back to Michael.