Chapter 28: Home

Chapter 28

Katniss P.O.V.

Peeta practiced some more at walking with the cane. He's really good. In a few days he'll be able to walk without the cane.

I have Peeta's things packed in a bag.

"Are you ready baby?" I ask.

Peeta smiles at me and is about to answer. But he gets cut before the words can even leave his mouth.

"Oh god! Just take him already!" Peeta's now ex neighbor says.

I giggle.

"Yeah I'm gonna miss you too buddy", Peeta laughs as he starts walking towards the door.

"Yeah yeah", the guy mutters and I laugh as I close the door.

We walk to the elevator, it's pretty close but it takes us about fifteen for us to get there. We pass people all the time and every single one of them wants to thank Peeta for serving our country. I'm proud of him of course, but right now I just want to take my husband home.

After about fourthly minutes we finally reach our car. Peeta is going to learn how to handle his leg so he's gonna be able to drive soon as well, but for right now, I'm behind the wheel.

"Everyone are so excited to meet you", I say as I drive towards our house. "Especially the twins".

"I miss them so much", Peeta says. "Matty too".

I haven't told Peeta about what Riley told me right before I got the call from the hospital. I'm just gonna wait until tonight.

What am I suppose to tell him though? "Um Peeta? You know your daughter Riley? Yeah well she developed superpowers during the months you've been away, and she knew you were hurt, welcome home!" That sounds crazy even in my head. I can't tell him that, it's his first day home.

I sigh as I grip harder into the wheel.

"Something wrong baby?" Peeta asks.

Shit.

"No", I sigh, to try to cover up the lie. "No nothing's wrong, Riley has just been kind of depressed, I think it will change her a lot to have you back home".

I drive up on the driveway to our house. I take out the key and look at Peeta.

"She's really your girl Peeta", I say. "Becca is your girl too of course she misses you so much but Riley... I just can't describe it, she's... yeah no I can't describe it".

Peeta smirks.

"Let's go in", I say and Peeta nods.

I take his hand as he walks around the car to walk by my side.

When we stop by the door I pull Peeta closer. I brush my lips against his and whisper. "Welcome home baby".

"I'm glad to be home", he says and kisses me.

I smile into the kiss and take up my keys to open the door.

As I open the door we can hear people talking.

"We're home!" I shout as I pull the door open wide.

"Daddy!" Becca yells and throw herself into Peeta. "Welcome home daddy".

"Hey baby, oh I've missed you so much", Peeta says and kiss Becca's cheek.

Becca giggles and pats Peeta's cheek.

Where is Riley? I scan the room and find her sitting on the couch beside Fisher. He's holding her hand and she's looking at Peeta like he's a ghost.