Chapter 3

-A Week Later-

Jiraiya and Naruto were back at the clearing sitting down while their clones were playing shogi. Over the week Naruto managed to master the jutsus Jiraiya gave him and he also managed to master manipulating wind and lightning nature chakra. He was still working on the other nature chakras but he was getting close to mastering them. Today Jiraiya had picked out 3 more jutsus for Naruto to add to his arsenal. The previous ones he's mastered were the Shunshin Jutsu, Shuriken Kage Bunshin Jutsu, Camouflage Jutsu. The new ones Jiraiya got to train Naruto were Wind Style: Great Breakthrough, Wind Style: Gale Palm, and Lightning Style: Lightning Strike.

"Ok Naruto, I'm very impressed by how far you came so as a reward I got you 3 more jutsus to master, but these are elemental jutsus so don't be frustrated when it takes you a while to learn them." Jiraiya said as he pulled out some scrolls.

"Really!? Thank you sensei! I'll try not to get frustrated but I can't be sure hehe." Naruto grinned.

"Alright fair enough. I just don't want to hear you whining though alright?" Naruto nodded his head vigorously. "Hehe, alright here you go. I got you 2 wind jutsus and 1 lightning jutsu. That should be enough for the finals. I'll teach you more afterwards, understood?"

"You bet sensei! Man you're the best! I'm glad you decided to train me." Naruto said with a gentle smile.

"I'm glad to train you kid." Jiraiya gave him a warm smile while ruffling Naruto's hair. Jiraiya's smile faltered and was replaced by a sad smile. "I'm sorry I couldn't be there to raise you Naruto. I'm truly sorry."

"It's ok Pervy Sage, I'm just glad you're here now. That's all that matters."

"Glad to hear that brat." Jiraiya said as he stood up. "Alright let's call it a day. You'll start learning those jutsus tomorrow. Let's go get some ramen to celebrate a successful week of training."

"Yay! Ramen! Let's go Pervy Sage!" Naruto said as he dragged Jiraiya away.

"..."

"Hey boss forgot to dispel us again didn't he?" A clone asked another one that was trying to master manipulating the other chakra natures.

"Yup. Yup he did." Another clone said as he let out a long sigh.

"Let's just get back to work until we're out of chakra. Boss will just get mad if we mass dispel now before he finishes his ramen."

"I guess you're right. Alright everyone let's continue!" The clone shouted, getting all the other clones to follow his lead.

-2 Days Prior to Finals-

"Alright Naruto I'm proud that you managed to master all of the things I've taught you. I couldn't be prouder. I want you to take tomorrow off to properly rest and eat, which means no ramen and to eat some vegetables and fruit too ok?"

"Hai, Hai sensei." Naruto grumbled out. "Well I'll make you proud by winning the finals and getting promoted to chunin!"

"Good, you better, heheh. Alright good luck Naruto. I'll cya around ok?"

"Alright sensei. Cya around." Naruto said with a wide smile as he waved off Jiraiya. Once Jiraiya was gone, Naruto used shunshin to get to his apartment and looked around. "Ok what am I going to do today? I guess I'll clean here and go get some food and... vegetables, bleh."

After cleaning and shopping, Naruto was on his way back to his house when he saw Sakura. "Hey Sakura! Where ya heading?" Naruto said with a grin.

"Oh hey Naruto, I was heading home after I gave up looking for Sasuke. He hasn't come back yet." Sakura said. This whole month she was worried about Sasuke since he went missing.

"Ah relax Sakura, he's just out training with Kakashi-sensei. He'll be back for the finals. After all he still has to lose to me!" Naruto said while smirking and dodging a punch from Sakura. "Hey! Why are you trying to hit me!"

Sakura was shocked that Naruto dodged her but quickly dismissed it. "You idiot! You can't beat Sasuke! He'll wipe the floor with you!"

"Wow what a way to cheer on your teammate Sakura." Naruto muttered loud enough for Sakura to hear. "Well if you're going to be like that then I'll just head home." After saying that Naruto shunshinned to his house leaving Sakura stunned. When he got home, he sat his groceries down on the table then let out his anger. 

"Man what did I ever see in her!" Naruto said as he kicked his wall.

"I'm not sure kit. I've never personally liked her. All that yelling hurts my ears."

"You're right I never realized how much she yells."

"That's usually because you're yelling along with her." Kurama said, making Naruto mutter something about 'backstabbing foxes'. "Hehe, kit that was the old you. Now you've matured pretty well. I mean you actually bought vegetables and you're planning on eating them."

"I guess you're right. Well guess I'll make myself something to eat."

After he ate Naruto spent the next two days resting and planning for the finals. He was also thinking of a flashy way to enter the arena. He thought of a great way to show off his skills and make a flashy entrance at the same time. 'Sorry Pervy Sage but I'm going to have to train to master this one down.' Naruto thought while leaping out of the house to the nearest training grounds.

-Day of Finals-

After waking up Naruto got ready for the exams and walked out the door. Once he reached training grounds 7 he found Hinata there looking towards the arena.

"Hey Hinata! Whatcha doin'?" Naruto asked, startling Hinata in the process.

"Oh N-Naruto-kun. Hello." Hinata said while hiding behind the post. "I'm waiting for Kiba so we can make our way to the arena to watch the f-finals."

"Oh you ready to watch me mop the floor with Neji?" Naruto said with a nervous smile.

"Are you ok Naruto-kun?" Hinata asked worryingly.

Naruto let out a long sigh. "Yeah I'm fine. I'm just nervous and scared y'know. What if I lose and prove to everyone how much of a loser I am? What if I can't win for you after I promised that I would? I may look strong to you, but all I do is mess up...And I act tough because I'm frustrated."

"It's not like that! Even when you messed up, in my view... you were always a proud failure. W-When I look at you, it impacts my heart. You're not perfect, so... so... It's because you mess up...that you have the strength to rise up from that. I think such strength is true strength. I... I think you're an incredibly strong person."

Naruto was in awe of how Hinata made him feel. He was now bursting with more confidence than ever before. Without thinking he wrapped Hinata into a hug and thanked her over and over. Hinata managed to not pass out and hugged Naruto back. After they released the hug he had to leave for the stadium.

"Hey Hinata watch my entrance when they announce my match alright?" Naruto asked with a wide grin.

"Okay Naruto-kun." Hinata said with a nod and a small smile.

"Alright well I gotta get going. Cya around Hinata!" Naruto shouted as he ran off.

Ok well the next chapters are going to be the finals and the invasion. I'm still new to this so my fight scenes are bound to be horrible. Sorry for that. But I hope you liked this chapter!