𝙭𝙭𝙭𝙞. the reckoning

( CHAPTER THIRTY-ONE: THE RECKONING )September, 1990

September, 1990

❝ everything he did, he did for you. ❞

"You know, you seem different," TJ said aloud, the obnoxious smack of his gum causing for Devon to roll his eyes in annoyance. He forgot how much it irritated him. "Different? Whatcha mean?" Devon asked, looking down at his friend as the two strolled along the Harlem streets, the early peaks of a sunrise drenching the neighbourhood in shades of amber.

"Dunno, there's just somethin' about you," TJ said, his angled eyes narrowing suspiciously. Devon gave him a perplexed stare, watching as his friend propped a cigarette in between his lips, his brain working figuratively to find out the mystery behind Devon's new attitude. The young man hoped he wouldn't be transparent enough where TJ would notice his sadness, but it was entirely possible, since Devon was a terrible liar.

"I ain't different," Devon strongly interjected, "I'm the same old Devon." TJ nodded slowly at his words, still managing to side-eye the young man as he leaned forward to light his cigarette. "Mhm," TJ mumbled, puffing out a whisk of smoke, "How come you've barely been talking about this tour? I thought you'd be more excited."

Devon shrugged at his friend's words, a trail of sweat starting to seep through the collar of his hoodie, "I ain't got anything else to tell," the male said, but he it was obvious that he lying. He had a whole lot of stories under his belt, stories that won't see the light of day as long as he's alive. "Bullshit," TJ grunted, which made Devon throw him a glare, "You're hiding somethin'."

"No I'm not," Devon defensively said, his face scrunching up angrily. "Yeah you are, you're walking around like you just came back from the fucking war," TJ stated, and Devon fought in the need to feel surprised, since his friend had an uncanny ability to see straight through him, even if he was working hard to keep his emotions all bottled up. "What's goin' on man?" TJ asked, a genuine hint of concern colouring his voice.

"Do we have to talk 'bout this?" Devon groaned, desperately wanting to change the subject. But alas, TJ's nature was more persistent than he remembered. "Hell yeah, we're gonna be hitting the clubs afterwards and I ain't got time for you to be moping around," TJ said, and Devon couldn't help but frown at his friend's words. Of course he wanted them to hit the town to celebrate Devon's return home, but as of late, that was probably the last thing that Devon wanted to do.

"Just tell me what's wrong," TJ pleaded, begging Devon to tell him the reason behind his saddened nature. The young man chewed on his bottom lip conflictingly, not knowing if telling TJ was in either of their best interests. "Did something happen on that tour?" TJ kept guessing, and at that moment Devon knew that the subject wouldn't pass anytime soon.

"Do you owe someone money?" TJ said, "Did you get a girl pregnant?!"

"TJ!" Devon yelled, fed up with his horrible guesses. "What? I'm just tryin' to help," TJ said jokingly, which made Devon's lips curl into a slight smile. "Whatever it is, I'll find out," his friend said before he took out another cigarette from his jacket, "Until then, have this."