𝙭𝙭𝙫𝙞. path of destiny

( CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX: PATH OF DESTINY  )April, 1993

( CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX: PATH OF DESTINY )
April, 1993

❝ you're destined for more, I can feel it!

"Sit," Devon commanded, his coarse morning voice rumbling warmly at the small, fluffy pet that barked at his feet. Devon crouched down, feeding the animal small pieces of the chewy dog treats he found in Janet's spacious kitchen cabinets. The male watched as the dog did as he commanded, wagging its tail as its ears pricked at the sound of Devon's voice. "Roll over," Devon said, yet this time, Puffy stood in front of him with a blank stare.

"C'mon, I taught you this," Devon muttered with budding aggravation, placing the bag of dried dog treats on the seamless sofa that stood behind him. Puffy barked again, large eyes sparkling innocently at Devon, who frowned at the dog. "You can be a real meathead," Devon mused, sitting down on the plush seat and leaning down to pet Puffy.

Weeks of living with this animal, and Puffy was slowly but surely becoming Devon's shadow. He barely left Devon's side, quick to wake the dancer up with slobbery kisses and fall asleep at the foot of his bed. The most annoying thing was, Devon didn't hate it.

Puffy licked Devon's hands as the dancer kept stroking his fur, slowly becoming engrossed in giving this pet as much affection as humanly possible. "You makin' a nigga soft," Devon muttered again, patting Puffy's greying fur enthusiastically. Unbeknownst to the dancer, Janet came gliding down the spiralling staircase, the early peaks of morning causing for the clean, white house to sparkle with golden sun rays.

Devon didn't know why, but he was waking up early—earlier than usual. In all fairness, however, he was never a very heavy sleeper, and every morning he made a habit of delicately slipping out of bed while it was still dark to go for a run or do something physical to pump out the adrenaline that was fizzing through his veins as of late.

It was as if body was sending him signals—signals that told him that something big was gonna happen soon, and he needed all his energy in order to be ready. But then again, Devon Emmet could just be overthinking it. "I can't believe it," Janet's voice filled the room beautifully, and it was like music to his ears. Devon sent her a serene glance, soaking up his daily dose of admirable stares.

Her curly strands of fawn hair was still tussled from the bed, and her satiny brown skin beamed in the sunlight. She was really all his, it was still so hard to comprehend at times. Janet walked over to him, shaking her head in disbelief. "It's only been a few weeks and Puffy already likes you better than me," Janet said, crossing her slender arms over her chest.

Devon let out a small laugh, but he shook his head, giving the dog one last lingering look. "Well, someone has to teach this joker a couple of things," Devon said, still rubbing Puffy's head. Janet's lips twisted in amusement, comfortably reaching forward to snake her arms around Devon's rocky, bare shoulders from behind.