𝙭𝙞𝙞. kid on the block

( CHAPTER TWELVE: KID ON THE BLOCK )March, 1990

BLOCK )
March, 1990

❝ This nigga ain't never getting
a break now. ❞

An ecstatic breath of air left Devon's coated pair of lips as his delighted brown eyes stared at the wild audience pressed against the stage. The crowd cheered with savage enthusiasm, the atmosphere electric as the curtain slowly dropped and the lights blackened. Madison Square Garden was still livened by the spectacle that was just displayed, no doubt in their mind that Janet Jackson could indeed put on a show.

For Devon, he was excited to be back in his home town. He expressed his excitement the minute they touched down in the Big Apple, raving on about growing up in Harlem, the New York sites and the magic that the city held. And, despite early nerves sparking through his limbs at the thought of performing in front of his family, Devon quickly eased into the groove of the concert and enjoyed the energy of the magnetic New York crowd.

It was only natural that by the final number of the concert, the audience erupted in a defining applause as Devon and the dancers performed 'Rhythm Nation' with complete accuracy. Once the spotlight dimmed, Devon rushed off stage with the crew hot on his heels, his pearly whites gleaming as they all broke out into congratulatory cheers. It was a sold out concert, and there was no doubt in their mind that they had everyone up off their seats throughout the two-hour set.

"Good job everyone!" Tina cheered as excited yells filled the room. Devon grinned, wiping the sweat off his brow as he eagerly listened to the rest of Tina's words. "Now, don't have too much fun, we still have a flight to catch in the morning," the brunette remarked, laughing playfully as the group continued on with their celebration.

Devon squeezed through the crowd, receiving pats on the back from passing crew members as he navigated his way towards the exit. He had to find his family before they left the stadium since he wanted nothing more than to get their opinions on the fantastic show that was just displayed. He cared about their input dearly, even if it was negative. The black male thought of this as he walked towards the door leading out of the stadium, but before he could leave, a tug on his bare bicep made him swing around.

"Dev!" The sweet voice said, Devon's entrancing eyes falling upon Janet, whose pretty face was damp from the droplets of sweat that was peppered among her brown skin. Devon grinned, his arms wrapping around her piete form as she returned the gesture, her head pressed against his chest as her arms snaked around his waist. "You did so good," Janet said, the two parting from the hug as they beamed at each other.

"Says you, Ms. Jackson," Devon teased, "You tore up that damn stage!" Janet laughed in response, her hands sliding off his shoulders and lacing around his fingers, the two hand-in-hand as Devon remembered the purpose of his descent. "Excuse me," Devon said, "I need to find my folks, they'll be waitin' for me."