𝙞𝙫. holiday cheer

( CHAPTER FOUR: HOLIDAY CHEER )December, 1988

CHEER )
December, 1988

Hear that? That's the sound of
accomplishment! ❞

Although Devon never really regretted his disobedient behaviour he displayed a day prior in terms of the audition, his mother certainly thought differently. Upon returning from his rebellious escape to fix the broken situation that was his dance career, Devon arrived to a tense house, with his mother fuming from anger and his uncle sitting there in shame.

From that moment on, the young adult knew it couldn't have been good. As he slouched against the comfort of his couch, he folded his toned arms over his swollen chest in boredom as his mother rambled on and on about his blatant disobedience and immaturity, completely going against the grain to secretly mesh together his broken dreams.

He wasn't really listening for the most part; he just tried to look guilty in order to escape to the privacy of his bedroom, where he felt he could properly recollect on his efforts earlier that day. "I swear Dev, do you even listen to a thing I say?!" his mother made his round, brown eyes snap upwards, his short nails finding their way to his mouth as he obliviously chomped down on them. He usually did that if he was bored.

"Hm?" the youngster implied unknowingly as he flew back to reality, his distracting thoughts the only thing that kept him entertained. Devon watched as his mother sighed, the slight turn of her back giving enough time for his bickering uncle to look at him as if he was crazy, mouthing the words you're stupid with ease, which made Devon frown.

"You're grounded for two weeks," she deadpanned, the pin-straight essence to her voice causing for Devon to do a double take, clearly expecting quite a brutal punishment but was hoping to bargain in order to get a better deal. "Hey! Hold up!" Devon strongly interpolated as he hoped up from the couch. Although he was deemed exhausted from the events prior earlier that day, he found enough energy to debate with his mother, who never understood his desperation to make a living out of his love for dancing.

"Dev, I don't want to hear it," Devon's mother bit back, her sharp turn causing for the brown-eyed male to press his full lips together conflictingly. "For goodness sake when will you let this dance stuff go?! You know it's so hard to make it!" Devon swallowed hard to drown out in pain he felt at her words. Did she not know how much she was hurting him? To know that the person who raised him and watched all his potential and skills bloom was doubting his capability. It felt like a stab in the chest.

"Excuse me for having a dream," Devon whispered, sucking in his cheeks and blinking rapidly to clear him from the subtle tears that drizzled from the barrier of his eyelids. Devon glanced towards his uncle for a mere second, his sympathetic gaze telling him that she meant well, that she was only looking out for him, he always made it his job to remind Devon of that.