𝙭𝙫. body heat

( CHAPTER FIFTEEN: BODY HEAT )May, 1990

May, 1990

❝ make me feel alive. ❞

Tokyo was a city like no other. The beautiful warm weather, magnificent architecture and rich Japanese culture heightened everyone's excitement as the crew disembarked from their flight in the late peak of the afternoon. The sky was shinning amber, and Devon found himself drowning in the lulls of the clouds as he quietly trailed behind the crew, who diligently manoeuvred through the Haneda Airport. Clunks of enthusiastic fans crowded around the gate, screaming and crying the minute Janet came into view, causing for the airport security to bunch together as they escorted the crew safely towards the exit.

The hysteria only increased as more people began to realise that Janet Jackson was prancing around the airport, which made everyone pick up the pace. Devon hadn't seen madness on this scale ever before in his life. However, he made sure to stay close to Jimmy and Tina as they squeezed out the door and walked out into the Tokyo streets. "Ok, we'll need to take separate cabs everyone, three people to a cab," Janet's bodyguard announced, his large body blockading the moss of people that assembled outside the airport.

Devon readjusted the bag that was hooked around his rigid shoulders, his moody brown eyes immediately catching Janet's as she offered him a suggestive smile. He already knew what she was implying, that they should take a cab together. However, Devon's dilated pupils snapped away, noticing the infuriating glare that Hilary pinned on him the moment she caught Janet ogling his way. "I'll go with Jimmy and Tina," Devon suddenly said.

Janet's bodyguard nodded and Devon took the liberty of staring straight ahead so that he could avoid the shady glares that were headed his way. "Alright, I'll hail a cab," Jimmy responded, skidding to the side of the curb. One soon slowed to a stop right beside them, its tires screeching along the road's pavement as Devon, Tina and Jimmy loaded their light luggage in the cab's trunk. "This is the address," the bodyguard said, giving Devon a sleek card to the Japanese resort they would be staying at.

The young dancer glanced at the card before sliding into the passenger seat of the car, nodding warmly at the old, Japanese cab driver that was sitting behind the wheel. "Kon'nichiwa," Devon greeted, causing for the man's face to light up. Tina and Jimmy cozied into the back seat, strapping on their seatbelts as Devon peered out the polished car window. However, once he looked that way, he wished he could remove the image from his mind.

Janet stared at him, bulbous eyes conveying a certain type of confusion that Devon had seen one too many times. He could clearly see she was starting to feel him distancing himself from her, and the worst part was Janet had no idea why. Unable to stand the sight any longer, Devon sharply turned his head, his heart slamming against his chest as anger started to build at the pit of his stomach. The cab took off, and somehow Devon forced himself to not look back.