𝙞. one-two step

( CHAPTER ONE: ONE-TWO STEP )January, 1992

January, 1992

❝ it ain't hard to learn. ❞

The opulent display of blaring, fluorescent set lights almost blinded Devon's lively, dark brindled eyes. You'd think the young man would be used the infuriatingly flashy sets and the annoyingly inconvenient props, but after two years of scrambling by Hollywood sets, he hadn't yet become accustomed to the swanky surroundings.

Devon Emmet only focussed on one thing when it came to jobs—and that was working his ass off. Nothing else mattered, and over two hard years of hustling and securing steady jobs, he developed a steady confidence in his endeavours. That's why he was here in Los Angeles, having been hired as the head choreographer for Bobby Brown's new single 'Humpin Around'.

Everyday when he woke up in his shallow, brittle hotel room and ran over to set while the city was still murky with early morning shadows, he arrived in advance so that he could accomodate himself with the grandness that was Hollywood's stage scenes. They were shooting in an exclusive lot, with a mysterious warehouse that would mould Bobby's new video to perfection.

With his hot new track, the large budget for shooting and Devon's exciting new choreography, no one could deem this video as a failure. Was Devon under pressure? Hell yes. Was he gonna rise up to the challenge? Abso-fucking-lutely. So, as Devon Emmet's acute eyes paid close attention to the dancers in front of him, his brain absorbed every little detail that they displayed, already coming up with ways to improve the routine.

A crowd of extras flooded in front of the makeshift stage that Bobby and the dancers were dancing on. Video girls were also prancing in the back, chained in a cage to convey the strong sexual visualisation of the song. By now, Devon was used to Bobby's provocative stage schemes, and he made sure to choreograph each routine with a lot of gritty, voluptuous moves. The main objective of Devon's choreography was expressing the artist's personal feelings in the most natural, yet unconventional way possible.

The young man always strived to do something fresh, something different and exciting. He needed to stimulate his ever-growing mind through dance and choreography, or else he'd explode. "Five, six, seven, eight!" Devon shouted over the music, watching the dancers intricately. The playback music pounded across the sound stage, the beat thrashing against the walls in a very thunderous manner.

Each beat however was extremely important. Luckily, Devon was relieved to see that each dancer was picking up on every sound, moving through the choreography as smoothly as one could. "Ok, cut! That's a wrap for today!" Lionel C. Martin—the director for Bobby's music video—yelled, getting up from his seat as Devon stepped forward to address the dancers.