XVI. Sokovia accords

Skylar was watching the news

Skylar was watching the news. She woke up about 45 minutes ago. "11 Wakandans were among those killed during a confrontation between the avengers and a group of mercenaries in Lagos, Nigeria last month." She paled at that sentence, fiddling with her necklace.

"The traditionally reclusive Wakandans were on an outreach mission in Lagos, when the attack occurred."

"Our people's blood is spilled on foreign soil not only because of the actions of criminals but by the indifference of those pledged to stop them. Victory at the expense of the innocent is no victory at all." The king T'chacka said firmly.

"The Wakandan king went on The Wakandan king went on to say they are operating outside and above the international law. Because that's the reality, if we don't respond to acts like these. What legal authority does an enhanced individual like Wanda Maximoff and Skylar Roy have to operate in Nigeri...?"

The TV turned off. Skylar looked at the door way to see Steve and Natasha. "I could have got them out, I just became sidetracked." Skylar said in a almost whisper.

"Now, don't go blaming yourself on this." Steve said. "As a team, we made a mistake, we could have stopped that bomb before hand."

Skylar glanced down after a bit. "How's Wanda?" She asked.

"She's not taking it very well, excuse me but I have to go check on her." Steve said leaving but not before giving the Skylar a side hug.

Skylar saw everyone siting in the living room area and the Secretary of State. "The whole world's against us." Skylar said getting up.

"What do you mean?" Natasha asked. "The Secretary of State is here." Skylar said. With Natasha's help she left the room.
€€€€

Skylar was sitting between Natasha and Steve, listening the Secretary of State speak. "Oh. 5 years ago, I had a heart attack. I dropped right in the middle of my batting swing." He said putting his hands up like he was holding a bat.

"Turned out, it was the best round of my life because after 13 hours of surgery and a triple bypass. I found something 40 years in the army never taught me: Perspective. The world owes the Avengers an unpayable debt. You've... fought for us. Protected us. Risked your lives. While a great many people see you as heroes. There are some... would prefer the word 'vigilantes.'"

" And what word would you use, Mr. Secretary?" Natasha asked, a small smirk on her features.

"How about "Dangerous?" What would you call a group of US-based, enhanced individuals, who routinely ignores sovereign borders and inflict their will wherever they choose and who, frankly, seem unconcerned about what they leave behind them." He said. Turning on a screen.

"New York." The screen showed the Chitauri and people screaming, running for cover, and the hulk busting threw buildings. Rhodey looked back at Natasha.

"Washington DC." Helicarriers crashing down, a building with black smoke coming out of it, people getting flooded with water. Sam looked down.

"Sokovia." Sokovians running for cover and screaming, the city flying. Skylar looked away from the screen for a second, uncomfortable of what she saw.

"Lagos." The screen showed buildings on fire people getting out, but there was a girl that looked familiar. Her hair was dirty, she had burns on her face and her leg look like it snapped. A redhead with a cream jacket was talking anxiously to the paramedics.

Skylar closed her eyes, everyone looked at her. Wanda then looked down in shame of hurting her even though she hated Skylar.

"Okay that's enough." Steve said noticing to two girl's reactions. Ross nodded and turned it off.

"For the past 4 years, you operated with unlimited power and no supervision. That's an arrangement the governments of the world can no longer tolerate. But I think we have a solution." Ross said sliding a very thick book over to Wanda.

"The Sokovia accords. Approved by 117 countries. It states, that the Avengers shall no longer be a private organization. Instead, they'll operate under the supervision of a United Nations Panel, only when and if that Panel deems it necessary." Ross said proudly, too proudly.

"The Avengers were formed to make the world a safer place. I feel we've done that." Steve said.

"Tell me captain, do you know where Thor and Banner are right now?" Ross questioned. Steve sighed in response.

"If I misplaced a couple of 30 mega ton nukes, you can bet there'd be consequences Compromise. Reassurance. That's how the world works. Believe me, this is the middle ground." Ross said.

"So, there are contingencies." Rhodey said putting his hand on the thick book.

"3 days from now, the UN meets in Vienna to ratify the Accords. So, talk it over." Ross ordered.

"And if we come to a decision you don't like?" Natasha questioned.

"Then you retire."
€€€€

"€€€€