Chapter Nine - 'Cause I love the adrenaline in my veins

45 minutes late. Fuck, the coach is so going to kill me. I enter the dressing room and rip off my clothes. I put on my basketball shirt and shorts. Lastly I slip into my old Jordans and put my hair into a pony tail. I take my basketball and sprint into the gym.

"Ah Toni, you decided to come.", the coach says angrily.

"I'm so sorry coach. Miss Montgomery had me stay longer. I didn't mean to be late.", I say while breathing heavily.

"Miss Montgomery, hmm. Again?", she asks curious.

"Yeah, she has an eye on me. She literally sees every little thing I do wrong and punishes me. I even told her, that I have training and that it's important."

"I'll have a word with her. She can't disturb my training and capture my players. But you Toni, you need to focus. You can't afford something like that. You have to be on better behaviour, you need to be disciplined. We need you on Saturday. They need their captain. You should be their leader. You can't show up late. Do you understand?"

"Yeah sure coach. It won't happen again.", I say quiet.

"You're gonna stay longer today. Work out more. And tomorrow you're punctual, if not early. And think of something motivational for your team, captain."

"Okay coach. Can I go train now?"

"Yes go!"

I run towards my teammates who are trying some moves. My mood instantly goes up. I love playing basketball. I love being on the court. I love this team and being part of it. Being a part of something. It feels good.

"What up Firebirds!!", I shout.

"Shalifoeee!", Billie shouts back.

"Okay guys, when you're finished, let's get into a circle for a second."
They finish their play and build a circle. I put my arms around Sam and Ash.

"Look guys, I'm sorry I'm late. It's not happening again. We are a team. We stick together. I'm not going to disappoint you. I'm there for you. So let's smash the Sharks together. I know we can do that. We're strong. We've got the power. Let's go Firebirds!!!"

"Let's go Firebirds!!", the others scream.

"Okay, get back to work.", I shout and clap in my hands. The coach winks. I nod and smile.

The girls spread on the field. I take the ball and throw it to Billie.

"Okay girls, from the beginning!", the coach says.

Everybody gets into their position and we start playing. Passing, dribbling and throwing. Running and jumping.

Time moves so fast, training is already over. The girls are going into the dressing room, I follow them.

"Great session today girls. Let's keep going. We're gonna win this! One, Two, Three.."

"Let's go Firebirds!!!", everybody screams in sync.

"See you tomorrow guys!", I say and go back into the gym.

"Bye Toni!", Maya says.

"Goodnight Shalifoe.", Billie says.

"See y'all", Sam says.

The coach stands in the middle of it waiting for me.

"Well done Toni. You're a true captain. All the passion you have for this sport, you put into the girls. You motivate them. Don't lose this fire. Keep going and you're gonna be a big one. Now, let's test your reaction."
As she says that, she throws a ball right at me. I put my arms up super-fast and catch the ball.