Rules of the game

The world almost seemed frozen in time for an unfathomably long moment. Then, 3D-Printed Naily broke the spell by shouting, "What. The FUCK?!"

Everyone else began to yell and protest at both each other and Oodle, the total noise level getting louder and louder with each passing second.

"Is he serious??"

"No, he can't be. This has to be some sort of elaborate prank!"

"WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE!!"

"No we're not, Fireball!"

"Oodle, is your last name really 'Doodle?'"

"Is your middle name really 'the?'"

"Guys!" Oodle shouted, but nobody heard him. "GUYS, if you let me SPEAK, I can answer- oh, for..." The green-themed man cupped his hands over his mouth and yelled at the top of his lungs. "GUYS!!!"

Somehow his voice was amplified to the level of a megaphone. That caused everyone to quiet down and turn towards him. "Finally," he said. "Now, I need to tell you the rules of-"

"You can't be serious about this," Conditioner said from amidst the crowd.

" 'fraid I am."

"But why??" Marble shouted. "Why would you take a bunch of kids and put them in... a mock summer camp... to kill each other? And how?"

Oodle raised his hands in surrender. "I'm not really allowed to tell you. All I can say is that I was gifted abilities by a group of powerful people who told me to do this."

"But-"

"Look," he said sternly. "If you don't let me explain the rules, then I'll just kill the lot of you and get a different set of twenty students, alright?"

Marble snapped her mouth shut.

Oodle gulped. He really didn't want to do this, but he had no choice. So he put on another weak smile and continued. "Anyway! There will be one murderer, chosen randomly. The very basic premise of this game is to figure out who that is. If you solve the mystery, then the murderer is killed and everyone else gets to go home."

Wario Land 4 raised his hand. Oodle pointed at him. "When will the murderer be picked?" WL4 asked.

"Oh, they've already been chosen, and they already know about it." Several people glanced around them, uneasy. "The killer's only allowed to off one person at a time. When you find a body, you'll have to decide who you all think the killer is. You already know what happens if you're right. If you're wrong... well, the accused dies anyway, and the game continues until either the murderer is found, or they're the last one standing."

Flower crossed her arms defiantly. "What if we don't want to participate? What happens if the murderer doesn't kill anyone, or just tells someone else that they're the murderer?"

Oodle sighed. He really didn't want to tell them this part. "If anyone breaks a rule, then their family dies."

Various cries of distress arose from the crowd of students. Oodle couldn't truly be mad at them - this time, he waited a minute for them to stop on their own. "You guys done? There are two more things I need to tell you. First, I have maps of the area here for you all." He snapped his fingers, and suddenly, maps appeared in everyone's hands, startling them.

" He snapped his fingers, and suddenly, maps appeared in everyone's hands, startling them

"Wow. This looks like it was drawn by a child," 3D remarked.

"Hey!" Oodle put his hands on his hips. "I'll have you know that my art's been improving recently!"

Marble studied the map carefully. "Uh, did you mean to put the location of your cabin on this thing?"

The counselor looked surprised. "Whoops. That's an oversight." He snapped his fingers again, and his cabin faded away from everyone's maps. "Much better. Forget you saw anything."

Marble just hummed to herself.

"There's a considerable amount of forest that you can roam around in," Oodle continued, "although there's nothing of interest there, and it's kinda dense. About half a mile in all directions past the map border is a barrier. You can't get past it. That's not a rule, it's just a fact."

"Of course we're trapped here," Marshmallow muttered.

"And finally, a sort of special extra rule. You guys get one - ONE - pass. This means that if you don't have enough evidence to convict someone after a kill, then you can choose to not convict them. But be careful! Once this pass is used, it's gone forever, and afterwards you will always have to choose someone to pay for the murderer's crimes. So use it wisely."

A pause. "Is that it?" Mac asked.

"Yup. Now, I'll be off. At least, until someone has-"

"WAIT."

Oodle winced inwardly as Fireball stepped forwards. He was hoping that nobody would recognize him. "I know you," Fireball said slowly. "You're one of the new teachers at Animated Inanimate High!"

"THAT'S RIGHT!" Envelope agreed loudly. "I HAD YOU AS MY ENGLISH TEACHER! YOU WERE TERRIBLE!"

"Oh come on, that's hardly fair-"

"You're literally forcing us into a killing game," Cheesy interrupted. "I think we're allowed to throw oodles of insults at you." *knee slap*

Marshmallow facepalmed. "This really isn't the time..."

Exasperated, Oodle threw his hands into the air. "Yes, I used to teach at that school. So what?"

"WHY HAVE YOU BETRAYED US, OODLE??" Envelope shouted. The counselor in question just put his face into his hands and promptly vanished. Brain huffed. "Some people just can't handle criticism."

"Get back here, you coward!" Flower screamed.

"Forget it," Suitcase muttered. "It's not worth it anyway..."

There was another moment of awkward silence as the weight of the situation began to settle upon everyone there. One of them was really a murderer? People would die? It seemed unreal.

Fireball finally broke the silence. "You know, I'm not sure Oodle is actually telling the truth."

"How come?" Bottle questioned.

"He may have been a bad teacher, but from what I remember from school, he was a great person! There's no way he would really do this to us!"

Marble snorted. "In case you haven't looked around, I think he really is."

Fireball pouted. "Well, I don't believe it. I'm going to go find this so-called 'barrier'!"

The warm-colored girl turned around and ran roughly northwards. "Fireball! Wait! You shouldn't go alone!" Bowling Ball cried out. He rushed after her, and the two quickly passed the mess hall and were swallowed by the trees.

Another moment of silence. "Well, that was something," WL4 said. He turned to everyone else. "Who wants to explore this place with me before we all die horrible deaths?"