1985 : Duet?

(Somewhere in 1985)

~Ryuichi's P.O.V~
Today I finally have the day at home. I had been very busy and it's nice that I can work on my own pace again. While Akiko is out today recording, she asked me to "look after" the girls. Although (y/n)-chan was supposed to look after Miu, I get the impression that Akiko got that joke from (y/n)-chan. As long as they're fine with each other, less that I have to worry. Speaking of the girls, they're in the living room watching television together.

(y/n)-chan and I just finished cleaning the dishes after lunch and Miu immediately called (y/n)-chan to play with her. I was a bit surprised when I heard Miu calling (y/n)-chan directly by her name. I asked why and she explained that Miu is around my age in her timeline. I could say that I should've known but it still surprises me. "What's this one?". "That is the Emperor Penguin." I heard their conversation while passing by.

"The Emperor Penguin is the biggest penguin in the world and you can tell the king by the yellow feather on his head." (y/n)-chan explained. "Just like a crown!". "That's right!" Miu then asked if all penguins live in the north and south pole. "Not all of them lives in snowy places even though their feathers are like thick snow jackets." (y/n)-chan explained and added, "There are some live in hot places like Africa. As long as water is near, they can live happily."

"How many babies does penguins have?" Miu asked and (y/n)-chan told her a pair of penguins have one chick in their lifetime. "But when all of them are together, how can they know which baby is theirs?". "The babies have their own sound. Like each house has their own doorbell." (y/n)-chan explained and Miu seemed to understood the lesson. "You know a lot about penguins, don't you?". "Sensei!" she was startled by my voice. "お父さん! (Otou-san : dad) (y/n) taught me about penguins!" Miu happily informed.

"It's just something I remembered from a documentary." (y/n)-chan answered. "Speaking of penguins, have you listened to my new album yet?" I asked. "Does it involve penguins?". "It's called Adelie Penguins." I answered. "I've listened to the main song and it does sound penguin-ish." She shared her opinion and asked if there was a music video for it. "Yes, it has." I nodded. "I'm guessing that it not only showed you play but also showed you being yourself while trying to look professional." There goes her sass.

I asked how she knew and guessed that she had secretly watched it before. "Knowing you, sensei... there has to be at least one silly act from you." She explained. "And no, I never watch it before." She added. Then there was a familiar tune from the television and it was the video I made with Thomas Dolby. "Is that the music video you told me, sensei?" she asked and we watched it together. Miu pointed at the screen when my portrait was shown.

We were watching when suddenly (y/n)-chan yelled, "Yo! That's sus!". "Excuse me?" she was clearly embarrassed from her sudden exclamation. We continued watching until the end and it turned out great. "What was that, (y/n)-chan?" I asked about earlier. "O-oh... I mean that the guy looked suspicious." She clarified her modern slang. "I know I shouldn't judge based on appearance but a look like that with the crossbow, how can't you be suspicious?" she shared her argument. "That was the role Tom had to do." I simply answered.

"Does Tenshi Tanaka has any relation to Captain Yonoi?" she cheekily asked about my characters. I giggled and answered, "No, they don't. Are you trying to be some sort of a lore expert?". "I'm just curious since both of them are you." She answered. I explained that both Tenshi and Yonoi have no other relation outside from being soldiers. "I'm pretty sure that they never met each other. Captain Yonoi was stationed in Indonesia while Tenshi was in Iwo Jima."

"I guess that makes sense... so you can confirm that?" she was really persistent about this. "Yes, I can confirm." I gave in. "Okay!" she innocently smiled. "Would you help me with something, (y/n)-chan?" I asked. "Sure!"

~Your P.O.V~
"To my office then. Come on." Said sensei and we went to his office. "What are you working on, sensei?" I asked after we went in. "Some pieces I have in mind." He answered. "Didn't you ask me that question before? When I was working on the soundtracks for my first movie." I still remember that day. Both of us weren't use to the teacher-student status yet. I helped him set up the recorder and opened the piano cover.

"How many do you usually prepare, sensei?" I asked. "About thirty. I picked the suitable ones for an album and I saved the rest for soundtracks." Sensei explained. "Wow." That was the only word came out. Then I remembered the time Ryouma listed fifteen songs for the gig. We only played a few and the rest was for the gigs after it. I guess Ryouma was too excited for us to play his playlist.

Ryuichi-sensei was checking the tape and I asked again what were the tracks for. He told me that he was commissioned to make soundtracks for two movies. One is for a movie about an adventure of a cat and a dog, and the other is for an anime movie. "Is it like the Ghibli Studio movie?" I asked about the anime. "I can't say it in certainty but it will be similar." He answered. "And you know that Ghibli Studio is Hisaishi-san's, don't you? I don't have any involvement with them." He added and pat my head. I giggled, "I know. Besides, your styles clash with each other."

Sensei then sat in front of the piano after the tape played a certain track. "Isn't that Self Portrait? Wasn't it already in your Music Library album?" I recognize the song. "It translates to "Illustrated Musical Encyclopedia" not Music Library." Sensei clarified. "Alright then... So you donated one of your songs to the soundtrack I see...". "I need to lend your fingers for this." Said sensei. "I think the track can be played with one person." I hesitated. "If I had four arms then I wouldn't ask you to help in the first place." He joked. "Sit here." He scooted to the left and I sat next to him.

(音楽図鑑/Ongaku Zukan album. The Self Portrait song came from ;))

"The melody is very easy. Like this..." sensei played the notes and I easily followed. "Got it?" he asked and I nodded. I played the tune a few times to let my fingers get the flow then sensei came in with the rest of the arrangement. I played on the high octaves while sensei played the low octaves. I decided to spice up the melody while trying to make it sound fit with sensei's. 'Nope... nah uh... what was that?' but most of them didn't sound fitting at all. This is so embarrassing...

We stopped playing then sensei asked while giggling, "What was that?". "I-I thought I could try putting in tunes I had in mind but it didn't work out..." I answered. "I think there are some that fit. You don't mind if I use some of it, do you?". "It's your work, sensei. You can do as you please. I'm only helping you." I surely don't mind. Maybe I can use it in the gig sometime... that's if I can ever go back...

"Are you alright?" sensei asked. "I'm fine. I was in a deep thought.". "Still thinking about your home?" I sighed and nodded. "It's fun being with you here, but I'm really worried if I could never go back." He put his hand on my shoulder to comfort me. I looked at him and softly smiled as a thank you then our eyes met again. There was a moment of silence and both of us were slowly leaning towards each other. This is the moment I've been waiting for but somehow, I don't want it. Not now. "By the way, sensei..." I broke the silence.

"Yes?" it seems that he snapped back too. "I thought you didn't want to act again. How did you get the role in the video?" I asked, changing the topic. "I was forced." He was a bit embarrassed to admit it. "Since I took part in the arrangement, it's fair for me to act alongside Thomas Dolby." He explained. "Even though as a soldier? Didn't you say that you don't like the interpretation?". "It is true but in the end I had to accept it." he answered. Miu-san then came in and begged us to play penguin with her. We wrapped sensei's work and play with Miu-san although in the end sensei was the only penguin. We never talked about what almost happened ever again.

A.N : Hey guys! Sorry for the late upload again. It's nothing serious... it was just writer's block and yeah... it's about penguins. The link I put is the MV of Field Work and check out Adelie Penguins too! And about the lore thing... I got it from the FNAF craze few years back XD I'll prolly keep it until the next chapter :3

Hope you guys enjoy this chapter and I'll see you in the next one! RD out!! Boi!!!

P.S : The movies I described are "Adventures of Chatran" in Japan version or "The Adventures of Otis and Milo" in US version, and "Royal Space Force : The Wings of Honnêamise". Go check them out!