1981 : First Christmas

Note!
(f/fl) : fav flavor

(December 1981)

~Your P.O.V~
I've been living in the Sakamoto house for weeks now. As for my apprenticeship... he hasn't taught me anything yet and I mostly being a nanny for Miu-san and their maid. Akiko-san asked why I use -san when calling Miu-san. "You're older than her." She said but I told her that the members of the house are higher than me although the real reason is that Miu-san is around forty in my time. She laughed it off and said that I was being silly.

I mostly spent my time in the house doing my responsibility as a maid. I never left the house. The furthest I leave is when I went to grocery shopping. When they go out together, I was left alone in the house. Whenever I cleaned the Professor's office, I noticed his equipment and the piano. I want to try to play it but I don't have his permission to do so. Or maybe I'm still nervous around him.

Everyone's not going anywhere today but we're still pretty distant. Even though Akiko-san treats me as a part of the family, I still feel like an outcast. Is it because of me being constantly awkward around him? Or is it just him? I should get over my awkwardness and start being more comfortable. The Professor is in office now and Akiko-san asked me to bring him refreshments.

I knocked the door and he allowed me to enter. "I brought you a drink." I informed while walking in. "Thank you. Just put it on the table." I did as told. "So um... what are you working on, sensei?" I asked. "Hm? Oh, I almost forgot about that." He chuckled. "I'm working on a soundtrack for a movie." He answered my question. "Will you play in the movie?". "Yes, I will." It must be the one Maya recommended me. I asked for the title even though I already know. "It's called Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence.". "Ooh!" I showed my fascination to the title.

"The main title will be like this..." he started playing the familiar tune. It already has the magic since before it was released on the big screen and I realized how lucky I am. I got the front row seat of the award winning and global favorite song! Well, soon in this era. "The song is beautiful." I commented after the song ended. "There are more for the movie but thank you." He smiled.

"But it doesn't sound anything Christmas-y..." I added. "Well... the title to most of my songs don't have a huge significance. Don't think too much of it." He explained. "Do you want to try the song?" he asked. "You do know how to play this, don't you?" I nodded. He scooted to the side and I sat next to him. "Watch where I press the keys." I placed my fingers one octave higher where the Professor placed his.

I slowly followed the rhythm and he was patient in teaching. "Ah, I have to remember the order.". "The right hand order is easy to memorize. Focus more on the left." I nodded. He told me to repeat the song from the beginning. There were some mistakes here and there but he kept his patience and encouraged me to try again. After a while, I'm starting to get the hang of it.

We progressed pretty fast and I was surprised that I took the lead on the melody. Sensei played the chords and I tried to split my focus to pay attention for my left hand while maintaining the tempo on the right. "After this, repeat the first melody. It's easy when you're used to it." He explained and I played the song again from the beginning to before the bridge.

"Hey, you two." We stopped when we heard Akiko-san's voice. "Having fun with the piano?" Asked Akiko-san with a giggle. "We're doing her first lesson and she's learning very well." Said sensei. Akiko-san asked what song I'm learning and I told her the movie. "That's great! I'm sure you'll master it.". "Thank you so much, Akiko-san!" I couldn't ignore her warm confidence boost. I feel I want to give her a hug but not now. I'm sure I'll get through this phase.

Akiko-san reminded us for lunch then left. "By the way, (y/n)-chan...". "Yes, sensei?" I responded. "When is your birthday?" he asked. I felt that was a bit weird to ask. "It's at (b/d)." I answered anyway. (If your birthday is around Christmas then ignore the reaction.) "Ah I thought it was around Christmas." He was slightly disappointed. "Why do you ask?". "I'd like you to be among the first people to listen the pre-released soundtrack of the film.".