Chapter 6

School was not off to a great start

Joy.

Within the first five minutes, I'd become friends with the bullies and was 99.9% sure Jacob hated me by now. The "freak" comment had only been the start.

So I'd barreled into the house, settling down onto a couch. Millie and Andrew weren't home, and I prepared myself for the storm that would hit me right about....

Now. 

The front door was flung open and my brother stormed in. He didn't notice me sitting there and proceeded to take his things out. I snuck up (A/N: I hate that word "snuck" it makes me wanna barf) behind him and tapped his shoulder. He started violently and turned back. 

"Oh. It's you," he spat the word like it was a curse.     

"Hey, I'm so sorry-" I began.

"Sorry' doesn't cut it!  You've been ignoring what's been happening to me, and that's obviously normal for you-"

"But-"

He went on, ignoring me. 

"But you SAW those papers fly! You still got rid of me and sulked in your room." He took a deep breath, then went on more calmly, "All our lives, we've lost and lost. And you know what you do when you lose? You want to make people feel even worse than you feel. It gives you happiness to see others' pain.

"And when you get the chance, you abandon people. I don't need your help anymore. You can stay in a haunted house with creepy parents and a "loony brother" who has no idea what he's doing."

I was silent.

Jacob was silent. Then he turned around, back to his room. "I hate you."'

And that was all. I winced, sinking back into my chair. We always jokingly said "I hate you" to each other, but this time, it felt real. It was real. And I knew what he had said was true. I was selfish. I was a jerk. And I wanted to make it right.

But to do that, I had to do the one thing I hated. I creeped upstairs and into my room, without him noticing (probably.) I twisted the knob as silently as I could and stared at the pile of papers on my desk. They were just half of the scraps. 

yearning, shadowed, it didn't matter to me anymore, because

It was too late to fight back.

They had won.

How they knew? That, I hoped I would never know, and that the

other one never found out

There was one.

And I remembered Jacob had one of the others. But of course he wouldn't give it to me. I wondered if there was a way to sneak into his room. Of course there was.