Chapter 9

Evelyn sank onto the beanbag, gaping at the tablet

Evelyn sank onto the beanbag, gaping at the tablet. I stood standing stiffly. The video played on. Mom looked up at us through the screen and continued.

"I suppose you don't know why we made this video. Your dad and I wanted to explain to you why Andrew and Millie would be good successors for us. You see, Andrew and I met when we were in 8th grade. We used to go to the same school we'll probably send you to soon. Everyone knew us there. It's pretty old fashioned, I know.

"Well, this went on for some time, and when we started high school, I discovered him talking to a friend about how he saw me as more than just a friend. I was shocked, and not in a good way. You see, I was already pining for someone else. Then I introduced him to your father and Millie, who were platonic best friends. I won't burden you with more high school drama, but Millie started liking Andrew. Evelyn, try to stop your brother from cringing, now."

I was definitely cringing. This was really awkward.

"Well a few years later your father and I started dating. Then, Andrew shut himself off and we didn't hear from him for ages. Then one day, we heard he was married to Millie. So I felt the need to tell you this because we aren't sure we'll live for a long time, so we've written in Andrew and Millie to take you in if we pass away. I'm sure you'll love them."

So at this point, things were confusing. Didn't mom say that Andrew had betrayed her? Made no sense at all. In the video, dad waved and walked away, but the tape didn't stop. Mom's smile faded, and she turned back:

"Listen. That's not all there is to the story. Your father doesn't know and I hope he never finds out. The years Andrew shut himself out, he didn't actually do so. I kept it a secret from your dad. Instead, he started to blackmail me, threatening to kill my family. At first I found this faintly cliche and hilarious, but I soon realized he was dead serious. Someone broke into our home, so we left out hometown. That's when we had you two.

"I didn't hear from him for a bit, but when I was pregnant with Jacob, something else happened. He had managed to locate us," mom continued.

Evelyn's hand flew to her mouth, as if she'd realized something. I wanted to ask her what it was, but there was no time.

"Basically, he came into our attic some days when you were asleep. He refrained from doing anything at first, but after Jacob was born he showed a ruthless side of himself. Sometimes he harmed me. He always brought some sort of weapon with him.

"He wanted to rid of my kids, but I would never let him. So, I started performing small acts for him, such as stealing useful things and other stuff I don't think is friendly for Jacob to know."

My sister let out a small groan.

"At the end, he asked me to murder your father. He thought he had won me over. Of course I refused. So he said I should watch out. After that, I told your father to run away if I ever died and tell Millie and Andrew to take you in. I knew it was the safest thing to do, because Andrew knows he can't hurt your dad. Not anymore.