Epilogue

I sat up in my chair with a start. The smell of bacon had wafted in from the kitchen, alerting my senses.

Everything felt fine now, but I still couldn't help but remember.

There was nothing we could do for Andrew, and Evelyn strongly felt that we shouldn't turn him in and cover up. Dad stepped in to live with us. This used to be his and mom's first house, after all.

So maybe things wouldn't be so bad. School still kind of sucked, with the taunts of "crazy," but I had been the one who knew something was wrong, wasn't I? Besides, I had a few friends now.

But Evelyn did not fail to remind me that most of this was figured out thanks to her. Which I had to grudgingly admit. Even though we had left the spirits and secrets behind, it had taken a toll on all of us.

Our dad wasn't as excited and energetic as before. Evelyn was being weirdly nice and distant, and I wasn't- erm, how should I put this?

Ev says I'm not as sassy.

I suppose everyone should be different. For one, my sister had almost died. She had lost one of her hands after surgery. For another thing, we had just found out mom's best friend was some sort of a mass murderer (and was now buried in our front yard. Creepy). And lastly, mom's departure.

I had went upstairs one last time with dad. Mom's spirit was looking at us with the utmost happiness. I recalled what she had told me.

"Thank you. You figured it out for me. He's gone. Your sister is safe. I am free to go."

Then there was nothing left but an empty room, but none of us were cold. The attic is locked out now. Nobody is allowed to go in there. Dad hired some people to repaint the rooms and install soundproofing to help me sleep at night.

Sometimes I pass by the attic, heading for the laundry room, and I feel the urge to open it. But I need to ignore that. Whatever could still be in there isn't gonna be good.

I stand up and walk towards the kitchen. Evelyn is upstairs working on our next project.

So basically, we have an idea. Since I can contact spirits and Evelyn is apparently smarter than me (okay fine she is, have you seen her grades?) maybe we can help other people with these kinds of issues. I know it isn't likely to find someone who believes, but its a start isn't it?

Basically Evelyn is making a sort of leaflet with information on this stuff.

Dad is flipping the pancakes simultaneously with the bacon. "Hey Jacob!" he says. "Breakfast is ready. Watch the food while I get your sister."

I move to grab some plates and the syrup, knocking over about a billion things in the process. Evelyn charges down the stairs behind me and proclaims, "I emailed some of the leaflets to our friends and teachers!"

"Won't they just think you're weird?" I ask.

Evelyn flushes. "I already told you I have new friends now. I ditched the bullies."

"Okay, okay, chill I was just kidding you stupid potato."

Dad sighs. "Kids, be nice."

The doorbell rings. "I'll get it!" Evelyn pops up, unlocks the door, and promptly turns a brilliant shade of red. I roll my eyes and lean over to see who it is.

It's some Asian guy with glasses and bangs, about my sister's age. I scrutinize Evelyn's face. It's red, but not the kind she gets when she's with me. That red is annoyance. Right now, it almost looks like...

"Ah I think I know who you are. If you're here to take Ev out, go ahead," I say smoothly. Evelyn punches me in the gut, glaring.

The guy nervously pushes up his glasses, as if he's never seen people before. "Umm, I'm not sure what you mean, but my name is Leo and I got your email. I think I need your help.