Chapter 7

"Hey Acorn, I've been waiting for you," my mom smiled

"Hey Acorn, I've been waiting for you," my mom smiled. Well, not her in real life, but you get the point.

I stared in wonder. "How did you get here? Aren't you supposed to be in heaven or something?"

Mom shook her head. "Maybe, but I wasn't sent there because I still have a job to do. I died too early, Jacob. And you need to set my spirit free."

I didn't have much time to ponder her words, but I added, "You said you were waiting for me?"

Without regarding this, she floated off to the side. I decided to follow her. When she reached the edge of wherever we were standing, she looked up and spoke. "I've been watching you and your sister. You both have actions that are uncalled for."

I laughed bitterly. "Well, she abandoned me and decided to have nothing to do with me."

Mom frowned. "You and I know perfectly well that is not completely true, and even if it is, she had her reasons. I'm not going to blame you Jacob. Because it isn't your fault. I just want to say that your sister has the answers. Go to her. Stop being so horrible."

I mean, when you get answers from a spirit, you don't really want to ignore her, especially when she's your mom. So I agreed.

"Oh! And one last thing, did you get my poems?" When she was asking me this, the room held its breath. Then Mom screamed and vaporized on the spot.

And after that, of course I passed out and left school early, escaping the "crazy" taunts and taking a detour.

I woke, thrashing. It was a recurring nightmare, even during the day. Evelyn was in her room, which I could hear. But I wasn't in the mood to listen just yet. So, I pulled on a sweater and headed into the chilly evening. There were clouds rolling at a distance, gray faces mocking me. I felt so close to the truth, but so far. Something was off.

I turned a corner into the garage and promptly crashed into Andrew. He let out an 'oof' and I, horrified, said, 'Oh no, I'm so sorry I-'

He just grinned. "Relax. I was going to talk to you anyways."

"Oh. Oh, alright."

He grabbed my arm in a rather vicelike grip and led me into his room downstairs. Dang, he was strong asf. (I'm so sorry skjaakjskd) It was a normal room, like every other parent room I'd seen. Even boringly so. But what he pulled out seconds later was not.

He set an album in front of me and asked me to look through it. On the first page, there were my parents. They had their arms around each other and were beaming at the camera. On the next, I saw Andrew and Millie with my parents, laughing or making goofy faces. They looked so happy I almost believed they were still alive. By the time I finished, I had passed into a different time. Shaking it off, I looked back at Andrew.