Chapter 10

The teacher looked truly fascinated by this whole mysterious business

The teacher looked truly fascinated by this whole mysterious business. Not only was he the first person I had seen to have been like this, he was also an adult.

When Jacob went through the whole affair with the poems, he listened with rapt attention, as if he had been a part of this all along. He was rather suspicious, to be honest. I tried opening up to him when he finally turned to me.

"So did you gather anything from this?" He asked.

I nodded. "We found a lot. First I figured out that the papers created a single long poem and that the first letter of each line created words. Our foster dad- his name is Andrew-"

"Andrew, you say? Go on..."

By now I had gotten some of my confidence back, so I continued with everything that had happened, from since our parents dying to arriving here to finding out Andrew betrayed us to finding the tape in the library.

The teacher listened attentively, looking concerned at the right parts and half smiling at the breaking into school part. But when we got to the part about mom continuing the tape afterwards, all signs of amusement vanished.

"So you're saying that you think your foster father is a psycho killer?" He queried.

"And that's not all," Jacob cut in, "we've only got this far thanks to something I've been experiencing. Evelyn I'm sure I can tell him. No one would believe him anyways. Basically, sometimes I get visions of things that reflect my past."

Suddenly he looked smaller than ever. Which he was. He's a midget compared to some other kids in school.

"Sometimes I can see mom. Her spirit."

The teacher sharply inhaled. He didn't look disbelieving however. "Y-you're sure?"

"Yeah... you don't believe us, do you?"

"Quite the contrary, actually. I know this is sudden, but-"

Footsteps echoed outside.

The teacher frowned. "My name is Mr. Diaz by the way. I suppose I forgot to introduce myself in class. I don't think we are safe here any longer. Follow me, please."

He strode towards the exit. He hadn't been here before, so how would he be able to locate areas of escape?

But he seemed quite sure of himself as he led us through the halls.

Behind us, an unknown terror tried to follow.

We arrived at a flight of stairs which I hadn't known existed, and Mr. Diaz urged us to go down them. It was our only possible chance to leave right now. So I summoned all my courage and took my turn.