Chapter 8

Nope

Nope.

Not today.

No thank you.

Jacob stared, transfixed, at the acrostic poem which now revealed a sentence. Whether it was in awe or horror I couldn't tell. Both would be fitting for this situation. For me, I didn't even know where to start. This made sense about Andrew breaking the promise to take care of us, but he hadn't even done anything.

And why would she ask him to promise to take care of us? Why not dad? Unless she knew he would be leaving! Or maybe he was the one who had done something wrong! Or-

Stop jumping to conclusions. Facts first, Evelyn. So apparently I'd been wrong to say it were super super easy. Well, it was. But a lot was still left unsaid. What about Jacob's visions? We didn't know how our mom died. We didn't know where our dad was. And ever since the paper situation, I hadn't seen anything else.

Maybe we could get some more information from the letters. But there were only a few. And I'd gone through all of them. They would not help. Buut maybe I could try to arrange the words?

It was hardly likely to work, but we had to try. I shook my brother's shoulder. He flinched, then steeled himself. "Yeah what?"

I dragged my foot over the fluffy rug. "I think we should try going back to the attic. Maybe you can connect with mom's spirit again."

He stared at me as though I'd just expressed a desire to become a ballerina. A/N: If you got that reference ily marry me. "What? You believe in that stuff now?"

I winced, thinking back to when we had moved in, the visions I'd had of mom, and finally the strange happenings in my room. "Yes. I do, Jacob. And I think this is a bit too late to say, but I'm pretty sure mom was murdered."

He didn't even blink. "I know."

Now it was my turn to gape. "Uhh...."

"Let me explain. I had a vision of mom during class when I stared at that weird teacher with the long brown beard. She told me she died too early, and that I needed to free her spirit and also that 'your sister has the answers' or something..." he broke off, turning red.

Teacher with a long brown beard? I'd had him too! He was staring at me all creepy, but not the point. "And what else did mom say?" I asked pointedly.

Jacob developed a sudden interest in a spot on the ground. "Well, I mean, she did also say that I was being rather rude. To, ya know, uh. You."

"And your point?"

"..."

I was enjoying making him feel so uncomfortable. We all knew he had a hard time with true apologies. Especially to moi. I laughed a real laugh for the first time in a long year. "No no, it's alright, I know what you're thinking. So, attic?"