35. My baby sister

Chapter 35: My baby sister

Mia's POV

*****

I guess it's true what they say. People change. I had always believed that in a way. A lot of people I once knew suddenly became unrecognisable, and I'm not just talking about their looks. The thing with that was that I never thought that I would ever change. I had always thought that my life would always be the same. That I would always have uneventful days, reading on my bay window. 

Never, in all of my years of life, would I have imagined myself where I was in that moment. I would have never imagined myself coming up with a devious plan to help my boyfriend and his family get rid of his aunt. 

Yet there I was, loving every minute of it. 

I had never been a vengeful person. The whole deal with Susan certainly proved that. I felt horrible after everything I did to her. Then again, aunt Petunia was certainly worse than Susan. In a way, I could understand why the latter was the way she was, but aunt Petunia was just cruel, and clearly crazy. 

For a while, I had given up to the fact that I had no malicious bone in my body. I was the kind of person who would feel bad when watching prank shows instead of laughing. They made me feel guilty, even if I certainly had nothing to do with the pranks. But it was different that time. As I sat there, mustering up the perfect plan, I felt proud of myself. 

"You said she hates blue, right?" I asked Theo, wanting every minute detail to be precise. 

"Yeah, she says that it's not a colour for a lady. She went crazy when she saw Layla wearing it the other day, asking her if she wanted to become a boy." I rolled my eyes at the anecdote, suddenly loving the colour blue more than I already had. 

"Perfect," I grinned. "And she's scared of balloons, right?"

"Mia Everley, what are you planning?" Theo smirked. He intertwined his fingers together and scooted closer to the screen, the sole gesture making my heart go crazy. 

"You, my cute little Lion, are going to fill aunt Petunia's room with blue balloons." I smiled as I saw Theo raising his eyebrows, an impressed look on his face. 

"I like how you think," he nodded. 

"I'm not done yet," I said. Theo tilted his head curiously, seemingly eager for me to continue with my plan. "When she opens her room and finds the balloons, you and the rest of your family are going to go up behind her and yell 'surprise!'. But, you'll all be wearing matching blue t-shirts."

Theo's lips parted slightly, the sides twitching upwards as he shook his head. He bit his lower lip after letting out a small chuckle. I could feel my insides turning to jelly, even if I tried to ignore the feeling as much as I could. In that moment, I was mischievous Mello, and not a soft romantic. 

"Okay, not that I ever doubted whether or not I loved you, but I certainly don't know," he said, sounding as if he were still in shock from discovering my plan. "You're incredible Mia. Looks like my cute, studious Sparkle can be a little bad too."

"Don't get used to it lover boy," I said. 

"I should bring aunt Petunia around more often then," he winked, making me roll his eyes at him. 

I had to admit, it felt slightly liberating. I was not just that innocent kid which accepted every threat and snide remark that came her way. It was funny how it took a person who was miles and miles away from me to get me to react. The only thing better than coming up with the plan would have been being able to actively take part in it.