THREE

Adeline decided the group was naïve to believe they even stood an iota of a chance against Klaus. Except for the fact that John found a loophole, sacrificing his life for Elena's. The only other win the group claimed was that Klaus, for some reason unbeknownst to all, let Adeline live.

Today was Jenna's funeral, a day that no one would enjoy. Adeline couldn't even begin to describe how Elena and Jeremy were feeling. She knew how it felt to lose one parent, but they lost two, then Elena lost John who was her biological father and finally, Jenna. Death seemed to follow that family. Adeline slipped in her black dress and slide on a pair of black heals. She had somewhere to go, someone she needed to see before joining the others.

Elijah had been spotted lingering around the woods of the small town, probably chasing after his devil Hybrid brother who's transition into werewolf was successful. She was happy to see the reports being correct as she pulled up to the woods surrounding the Lockwood Estate. Elijah was standing in the middle of the woods, staring out at something in front of him.

"Elijah!" Adeline called, stalking towards him.

"Adeline?" He questioned, meeting her gaze.

"You aren't a man of your word." She seethed.

'Listen to me—" the original started.

"No." She interrupted. "You promised you would kill Klaus but last I heard he was still alive and well."

Adeline didn't fully understand why she came here to seek out Elijah. People handled grief in different ways, and she chose anger as a way of coping. She knew if Elijah so desired, he could kill her in seconds, but she went anyways.

"My family is everything to me and I have the chance to get them back." He spoke with a soft tone, locking eyes with the angry blonde. "Wouldn't you want your mom back if you could?"

"That's not fair." She started.

"It is true though, is it not?"

"Of course, it's true." She admitted.

There was no use in trying to deny that she would give anything to have her mother back. In that sense, she could see why Elijah went back on her word. She wished she could use that to make her feel better about Jenna dying, but she couldn't.

"Adeline, I sincerely apologize for you and your friend's losses—" he started.

"Please—spare me the fake apology." She sneered and retreated to her car, leaving the original behind. Branches were snapping behind him catching his attention, when he turned around his brother was there, naked but back into his normal form.

"Here." Elijah muttered, handing Klaus a set of clothes. Both men's eyes were locked on Adeline as she was still barely in their sight.

"Adeline—wasn't it?" Klaus questioned.

"Yes." Elijah answered, staring at his brother with confusion.

"Interesting girl." He mumbled.

******

There was a whole new debacle taking place at the Salvatore house when Adeline arrived. A somber feeling filled the halls of the mansion and she assumed it was because of the deaths of Jenna and John, but she was wrong.

"Addy—" Elena sighed, wrapping her friend into a tight hug.

"I'm so sorry Elena" Addy whispered, and meant it. "I wish I could have saved Jenna, I wish he had let me take her place."

"Please don't say that." The brunette pleaded. "I am glad you are here."

Stefan rounded the corner of the room joining the girls with a sickly look on his face. Adeline could tell immediately something more than mourning the loss of Jenna and John was happening.