TWENTY EIGHT

The party was relatively uneventful, at least for Klaus and Adeline it was. Since she was pregnant, she couldn't drink so it wasn't as much fun as she would normally have at a party— but it felt nice to dress up and go out with Klaus.

When they got back to the compound Adeline was ready to crash and get some sleep. She was staring to feel some of the symptoms of pregnancy— exhaustion. She was tired two hours into being at the party.

"Niklaus— a word?" Elijah asked as they were headed up the stairs. Klaus stopped and looked at this brother with curious eyes.

"Adeline go on up, I'll be there soon." He urged and she listened, heading up the stairs. Any other time she might have stopped and forced them to tell her what was going on too but she was tired and didn't feel like it tonight. When Adeline made it upstairs and out of sight, Elijah spoke.

"I have news— something Rebekah and I heard tonight."

"Well get on with it then." Klaus huffed.

"Thierry informed Marcel of a rumor swirling through the witch community about a miracle pregnancy." Elijah started. Klaus's face went cold immediately. In order to protect Adeline from any harm they didn't want news of the pregnancy to get out— not yet.

"Those witches and there—"

"Brother that's not all I'm afraid." Elijah interrupted. "He said the witches are saying the baby is going to be powerful, probably the most powerful thing to step into this city. So, Marcel wants to find out who's pregnant and... handle it."

"Handle it?" Klaus scolded. "That's it. I'm going to kill Marcel and his whole gang of minions tonight."

Elijah reaches out and grabs his brother tightly, keeping him from storming away.

"You can't." Elijah huffed. "We have a deal with the witches."

"I don't give a damn about those bloody witches!" Klaus yelled.

"Neither do I but for now we must honor our side of the deal, at least while Adelines life is linked to one of theirs."

Klaus shook his head and began pacing in front of his brother. If it wasn't for those pesky witches and there linking spells, he would be out of this house and slaughtering all of them by now. He thought about doing it anyways, kill every single one but Sophie. Except, he couldn't be sure she wouldn't take her own life after and in turn take Adeline and his baby with her.

"What do you think we should do then? Huh?" He snapped. "Wait around like sitting ducks while Marcel and his henchmen hunt to find out who is pregnant with the magical baby?"

"I think we wait, but we watch. We keep our eyes and ears open." He urged. "No one will hurt her Niklaus."

Klaus like out a deep sigh, rubbing his fingers against his temples. He was frustrated and his hands were tied, there was nothing he could do for now and he hates that. Feeling helpless was not something Klaus took kindly too. He poured himself a large glass of bourbon and drained the cup of its contents before slamming it against the wall, letting it shatter.

"If anything happens to her Elijah— trust me when I say I will burn this city and everyone in it to the ground."

"I will help you." Elijah nodded.

Klaus turned to head up the stairs, he was angry but he wanted to check on Adeline.

"Wait—" Elijah called our catching his brothers attention. "Do you still want my help tomorrow, with what we talked about earlier?"

"Yes. I won't let Marcel detour any more of my plans." Klaus nodded.

***

Klaus walked into the bedroom where Adeline was slipping out of her dress. He walked up behind her and wrapped his arms around her waist, looking over her shoulder he saw the diamond necklace he gave her dangling around her neck.