SEVEN

Adeline apologized to Stefan for kissing him, but he didn't mind. He knew she was only doing what she thought was the best decision at the moment, not to mention she was drunk. They only danced for a little bit, just until Klaus got so tired of being at the bar he practically dragged them out.

It was past midnight when they returned to the penthouse suite in Chicago. Adeline was still drunk as she stumbled across the marble floors to her room. She didn't even bother changing her clothes—she couldn't. She flipped down on the bed and fell asleep almost instantly.

Klaus would never admit it to Adeline or anyone for that matter but there was a few nights since he left town with Stefan and Addy that he couldn't sleep— so he would silently slip into her room and just watch her sleep. He wouldn't do it for long, just for a minute but there was something he found peaceful about the way she looked when she slept.

The Hybrid walked quietly down the hall and crept the door open to her room. She was sprawled in the middle of the bed— passed out. She didn't have a cover over her, and he knew she was so drunk she probably just crashed— so he picked a blanket up off the edge of the bed and laid it over her.

"What is she to you brother?" Rebekah asked, slipping into the room.

"What?" Klaus questioned, caught off guard by his sisters intrusion.

"The girl— what is she to you? Why is she here?" She asked.

Klaus didn't like Rebekah questioning him, he didn't like anyone who questioned him. That's how it had always been, he did what he did and didn't want any blow back or questions about it.

"Don't question me." He snapped quietly.
He didn't want Adeline to wake up because he knew a whole other line of questions would follow from her. "She's nothing." He added.

"If she's nothing, why were you so mad when she kissed Stefan?" Rebekah scoffed.

"No Rebekah, why were you so mad she kissed Stefan? Why don't you asked yourself that, dear sister." He scolded. "Now let's go."

Klaus gave Rebekah a shove out of the room and took one last look at the sleeping blonde before shutting the door.

*****

Adeline expected to wake up back in the bed she had slept in the night before but that was not the case. She was on a hard, cold floor and it was dark. It didn't take long for her to realize it felt like she was moving, like she was in a car or a truck.

She looked beside her and Stefan was laying there. He looked like he was still asleep but she was to afraid and confused not to wake him.

"Stefan." She whispered, giving his arm a shake but he didn't move.  She started to worry, thinking maybe he was dead but then she remembered his skin would be greyed.

Adeline sat in the back of the truck with her legs tucked up against her chest. She was trembling and nervous about where they were going. She didn't know what was wrong with Stefan on top of everything else.

The silence was broken when the Salvatore beside her suddenly gasped for air and shot up off the floor.

"Stefan! Oh, thank God." She sighed with relief. "What's happening?"

"I don't know— last thing I remember was Klaus snapping my neck." Stefan answered. They sat in silence for awhile, listening to the sound of the truck driving down the road. That was until the it came to a halt and they heard footsteps walking around. When the door slid open and the light leaked in, they both knew exactly where they were by the talk clock tower in-front  of them.

They were home, Mystic Falls.

"Welcome home!" Klaus smirked. "Let's get to the bottom of some things, shall we?"