THIRTY NINE

SEVEN YEARS LATER

It had been seven years-- Seven years since Elijah and Adeline found Klaus's lifeless, grey, desiccating body at the altar where they wed. Seven years of blaming herself, hating herself, trying to be okay for her daughter but inside she never was. Hope was twelve now, she was nearly a teenager and the older she got, the more she felt like her father's death was her fault.

Adeline still lived in the compound at New Orleans, she could never bring herself to leave. She hadn't touched a thing on Klaus's side of the bathroom or moved a shirt from his closet. It was depressing, she knew that, but she just couldn't do it. Elijah lived with them, helping Adeline raise Hope. He loved them both deeply, he wanted to be like a father to Hope and like a husband to Adeline though he knew he could never replace Klaus.

She took a trip to Mystic Falls shortly after burying Klaus in the family crypt at the quarter. She almost killed Caroline-- she was angry with her, angry that she didn't warn her or tell her. She went behind her back, knowing what Klaus was going to do. She said he forced her, because otherwise Adeline would have stopped her and she was right, she would have.

Stefan came to visit often; Hope knew him as Uncle Stefan. He loved Adeline, he always had and seeing her so sad, so unable to move on made him feel sick. Rebekah and Marcel were married, they two took up a permanent residence in New Orleans, keeping close watch on Adeline-- caring for her and Hope. Kol and Davina did the same, they were married and happy, but nothing felt the same without Klaus.

Adeline was staring out the window of her bedroom when Elijah walked in. He was dressed in the usual suit and his hair was slicked to perfection.

"How are you today Adeline?" He blurted.

She looked back at the original, with low unchanging eyes.

"Seven years Elijah-- seven years today." she breathed.

"I know." he nodded.

"Why does it still hurt this bad? Why won't it get better?" she wept.

He walked towards her, wrapping his arms around the distraught girl before him.

"Because you loved him deeply." He whispered into her hair. "But we have forever to try and make you feel okay again."

"I don't think I'll ever feel okay." She admitted.

Elijah caressed her cheek, turning her head up to face him. He gave her a sympathetic, looking into her light blue eyes he loved so much. It was a bad day for this, he knew that but he couldn't help it, he leaned down and placed a kiss gently on her lips. She didn't jolt or pull away. She gave him a small peck and a smile.

"Elijah." She whispered.

"I'm sorry— I don't mean to make today worse." He breathed. He loved her, deeply. Sometimes he resented himself for it and felt guilty but other times he thought it made sense, it would make Klaus's death make sense, maybe they were meant to end up together in the end. But he knew that was wishful thinking, Klaus was her soulmate.

"You didn't." She smiled. She wished she could love Elijah the way he loved her— maybe this would all be easier if that was the case. She tried, to let herself go there but it never felt the same.

"Why don't I take Hope to school today, and you get some time for yourself?" he offered.

Adeline agreed. She didn't want her daughter to see her like this, so upset. Hope knew what today was to, she expected it to be harder on her mother then others. When she heard the door shut and she could be sure she was alone, she let out a painful sob. She didn't want to live like this anymore, she didn't want to live in pain knowing this was forever, she would live forever but it didn't mean as much without him here. She was glad to be here for her daughter, she did the best she could for her. They traveled, they loved, they laughed but there was still always pain.