SIXTEEN

When Adeline woke up the next morning, she was sleeping soundly on Klaus's chest, snuggled up against his body under the sheets. She lifted her head up to look at the hybrid, the golden morning sun was lighting up his face as he slept, he almost looked like he was glowing. Adeline sighed and rubbed the pad of her thumb across her bottom lip, a small smile forming as she remembered every kiss, every touch—she was reliving everything in her head.

"Something on your mind love?" Klaus smirked, his morning voice was raspy and deeper than it usually was. Adeline blushed, realizing she had been caught staring. "No need to be embarrassed—I think we are passed all that."

Adeline shook her head and smiled—she knew he was right. After what they did last night, there was no reason to be shy about anything. Klaus had seen all of her, touched all of her—he had all of her.

Klaus leaned up and kissed her lips intending to go further until there was a knock at the bedroom door and Elijah let himself in.

"Oh—I'm sorry." He acted surprised but a smile spread across his lips.

"What is it Elijah?" Klaus asked.

"I need you to join me downstairs." Elijah said and walked out shutting the door behind him. The pair stood up off the bed and Adeline reached down, sliding her panties back on—she searched for her shirt and realized it was ripped.

"My bad." Klaus smirked and tossed her the black t shirt he was wearing the night before. She pulled the top over her head, it was oversized on her small frame, going down to the middle of her thigh.

She followed behind Klaus downstairs and then she saw them. Her friends were all there—all of them. Bonnie, Caroline, Damon, Elena, Stefan, Jeremy, Matt and even Alaric. They were smiling at her, waiting at the bottom of the stairs—until they saw the messy hair and the familiar t shirt, they knew was not hers. Adeline's smiled faded as quickly as her friends when she made the realization of how this looked.

"This is not what it looks like." She defended, but she knew it was exactly what it looked like. She swallowed hard as her friends stared at her with shocked expressions.

"Oh boy." Kol laughed under his breath, he was going to enjoy watching this unfold.

"I think it's exactly what it looks like." Elena spat. She couldn't believe what she was seeing, she couldn't believe her friend since birth could be with him—not after all he has done.

"Well—I'm just confused what you lot are doing in my house anyhow." Klaus smirked. He didn't care about anyone's feelings being hurt, he didn't care Elena was upset or Stefan. He found it amusing, that he had something they couldn't—he had her. Maybe it was toxic that he enjoyed the chaos, but it was Klaus, that's who he was.

"It's Addy's birthday." Caroline pointed out. "We were here to surprise her."

"But I guess we are the ones getting surprised." Elena snarked.

Klaus turned to Adeline who was choking down the urge to cry. He was upset she didn't tell him about her birthday but honestly—with everything that was going on she had forgotten herself.

"You didn't tell me it was your birthday." Klaus complained.

"She's not required to tell you her life story after a one-night stand." Elena scoffed.

"Elena—" Stefan whispered, trying to keep her calm. He didn't want her to keep this going because he knew where it would lead—to the truth. The truth was it wasn't a one-night stand, and he knew that. He saw this coming for a while. He was surprised she hadn't picked up on it after the lengths Klaus went to protect Adeline.