TWENTY THREE

Adeline followed the eldest original out of the bar and down the street. She was drunk—and upset. If it were up to her, she would have stayed in the bar until the sun came up just drinking to numb the pain.

"Where are you taking me?" she slurred, stumbling over her feet behind Elijah.

"Somewhere safe I assure you." Elijah huffed, annoyed by the girl's drunken behavior.

"Does it every get exhausting?" she questioned.

"What?"

"Being so damn 'noble' all the time." She snickered. "I don't need you to save me Elijah – I was perfectly fine in there with my new friend Mitchel."

Elijah abruptly stopped in his tracks and turned to face the young vampire. She was laughing under her breath. The original was looking at her with a straight face—but she couldn't take anything seriously right now.

"His name is Marcel." Elijah corrected. "And he is no friend of yours—now keep walking before I'm forced to carry you."

"Okay okay, I'm coming." She huffed throwing her hands up in the air. "No need to go all Klaus on me and get psycho."

Elijah rolled his eyes, but a small smile crept on his lips. Even when Adeline was drunk, Elijah couldn't help but find her charming. He led her into a tall hotel that overlooked the quarter. They rose in the elevator until the reached the very top floor, the penthouse suite. When the elevator doors opened, she was in awe of the suite. It was a wide-open floor plan with marble floors and a panoramic view of the city.

"You will stay here—at least until you and Niklaus work out your differences."

"Get real Elijah—I'm not going to be sorting out anything with him." She huffed.

"I know I have asked this before, but I will request it of you again. Please—have a patience with Niklaus. If not for him then for me and my family." Elijah pleaded.

"Nope—no way."

"Adeline—" Elijah started.

"Don't Elijah, just don't kill my buzz tonight." She huffed.

Elijah knew he wasn't going to get anywhere with her tonight. The wounds of Klaus's betrayal were still too fresh, and she was still too drunk. He stared at her for a moment, watching her as she looked out the window in awe. He knew his brother was acting of pure emotion and not thinking right, but he was a fool for hurting someone like Adeline.

"Get some rest and sober up." Elijah announced. "I'll be back tomorrow."

He walked away, headed for the elevator when she called out to him.

"Elijah—do not tell Klaus where I am."

"You have my word." He nodded. "But you and I both know; he will be searching."

"I know." She breathed and Elijah gave her one last glance before the elevator doors closed and she was alone.

Adeline debated calling her friends and telling them everything and how mad she was at them for encouraging her to leave. She didn't actually blame them—that was just the alcohol talking. She did blame herself for not listening to everyone's warning about him. He was bad news. One week he loves her and the next he's screwing some random tramp.

The penthouse had only one large bedroom, but it was fit for a queen. The bed was a king sized with sheets that felt like Egyptian cotton, and the view of the city continued into the bedroom. The city lights lit a warm glow in the room and Adeline decided to sleep with the curtains open—to enjoy the view.