Flying lessons

(Sorry this chapter took so long. I wanted to write it well and just got writers block)

A knock at the door almost made me jump out of my skin. I answered seeing Hawks there, "Ready to go?"

"I just need my bag"

I hurried to grab the rest of my stuff

It felt weird going to work with him. He seemed happy though. He hummed to himself lightly letting his fingers tap the wheel with his own rhythm.

I recognized the tune but I couldn't tell from where. I've heard it before I swear. I wanted to melt back into the seat listening to him.

It wasn't until he moved his hand to shift into park that I realised his hand was on my thigh.

Heading into work with him was awkward. People didn't seem to care though. Work went fine.

It wasn't till right before lunch that I saw Hawks again.

"Hey Dove, can you come with me to the gym? Then we can have lunch?"

"Why?" I shook my head

"Well...I want to help you fly"

No. I can't fly. Its not an option. My wings are defective, "no"

"Dove...please?" He kneeled down next to my chair, "for me?"

The puppy dog look in his eyes was hard to resist. I took a few deep breathes, "Hawks. I cant"

"Please. I promise I'll make sure nothing bad will happen, if you fall Ill catch you... just trust me. I believe in you"

I haven't flown in years. I can't remember how. Flying seemed terrifying. So down something told me. Flying is wrong. My wings are wrong. I can't do this. His wings are amazing. They Belong unlike mine.

He hit such a soft spot with me though. I pressed my lips into a line but sighed giving in, "Fine. I have a half hour break"

"Perfect" he smiled pulling me out of my chair in a sudden rush.

We got to the gym and he started flapping his wings excitedly.

"I wouldn't get too excited"

"Why not? We are going to get you to fly. Its going to be fun, later we could even go on a flight together!"

"Just... don't get your hopes up"

He dragged me to the center of the room and spread out his wings motioning to do the same.

"Flying inside is easy, no wind resistance or drifts. It's a good start for wings like ours"

"I don't think I can do this" I shake my head.

God I'm even more scared now that I'm here. I felt prickles all along my wings. Stretching them out alone felt weird.

"I believe in you kid. You got this. Its all about creating enough wind to get off the ground. That's the hardest part. This should become muscle memory"

"Hawks I haven't flown in years. There is no muscle memory"

"Even if there isn't im here to teach you. When we flap we move our wings kind of in circles its a science-"

"And if I fall?"

"I'll catch you" he smiled widely. He flapped his wings lightly, "It takes a lot to take off. I'd say this is what's going to take the most energy but afterward it gets easier, I promise"

I start to flap trying to take off.

"Slower. Slow powerful flaps. Its more efficient" he slowly flapped his wings, "See, slow. I move them forward to they are horizontal to the ground and catch more wind"