Chapter Six

I was having a lot of fun. At a party. Which was saying something.

Jax was swaying to the music of The Good Natured and I sang along with the music, dancing with him. No one else was dancing, just him and I, and that's what made it so special.

We were beside the bonfire, laughing and having a great time.

When the night finally ended and I hitched a ride with Jax in his Jeep, we stopped outside my apartment complex, number 212 only yards away. I frowned as the Jeep came to a stop.

I didn't want the night to end, despite being constantly bombarded with harsh memories of the last two years, ones I quickly forgot when Jax smiled at me. I glanced over and he seemed to be thinking the same thing.

"Tonight was fun, we should do something like this again sometime." Jax said with a breathtaking smile. I nodded enthusiastically.

I definitely wouldn't mind spending more time with him.

"Of course, but that party was a little...tame. Why are teenagers becoming so boring?" I asked. Jax laughed and shrugged.

"Maybe they're being corrupted by Goody Goody's like you." He smirked and I rolled my eyes. If only that were the case...

"Whatever helps you sleep at night, Romeo." I laughed. I grasped the door handle of the Jeep and prepared to jump out to the ground when Jax stopped me.

"Do you want to get coffee with me tomorrow morning?" He asked. I glanced over, a blush heating my cheeks. I really shouldn't have been the one blushing, when he asked, but it was just so sweet. So, I did what just about every other girl would have done in my situation.

I nodded.

"Sure, but you're paying. I spent my money on this." I gestured to my outfit that Ice had strategically planned and he smiled.

"Of course. Besides, I love it when people owe me. Now get out of my car." He demanded with a smile. I laughed and nodded.

"I can take a hint. See you tomorrow morning." I said, hopping from the tall seat.

"I'll be here at seven thirty." He said. I saluted him and then slammed the car door shut while walking up the pathway to my apartment. I didn't look back to see if he was gone, but when I closed the door of my apartment, safely behind it, I heard his car drive away.

My stomach quivered with butterflies and I bit my lip in excitement.

Was this going to be a date? Would you consider it a date? He didn't make it sound like one...but that didn't mean it wasn't.

I was beginning to confuse myself so I went down the hall to my room and stripped from the clothes, tossing them in my laundry hamper and walking into the bathroom.

I tied my hair up in a messy bun on top of my head and got to work cleaning off my makeup and scrubbing it clean of all residue. When I was finished, I brushed my teeth and then went back to my room, laying down and getting comfy on the springy mattress, which proved to be a challenge in itself.

My eyelids began to droop, and I fell asleep with pictures of Jax sifting through my mind.

He seemed different. Not like other days. We were in the hotel room, he had aquired enough money for us to sleep in actual beds, but he wouldn't tell me how.

Like I said, he seemed different. Slightly off. Like he was barely hanging on to the little bit of sanity he had left. I glanced up from the chair on the otherside of the room. He was laying across the bed diagnally, shirtless and rubbing the bridge of his nose.