Together again. He loves her.

Note:  I am picking up, dear readers, that you are most interested in the personal scenes. So, am leaving out part of what I wrote of Giancarlo and Tiberio talking--things about real history going on at the time.  To get to the one on one story of Carina and the two men who want her.

Note: Some have criticized this section because they felt Allah was disparaged. Please know I have nothing against Allah. The people in the story were facing a powerful enemy, they had little education, and saw the followers of Allah as the enemy. In their fear, they said bad things about the enemy and their God. So, I hope no one who follows Allah is distressed. You may know that Christians also attacked Muslims in later centuries. Those Muslims under attack surely had some choice words for the "evil" Christians. Today, we know better, and should have peace among religions. Actually, Christians and Muslims have very many similar beliefs--you can check them out in my short Wattpad article titled, Christians, Muslims and Atheists. Anyway, please enjoy this story about Carina. It's  not about religion, but about adventure and love. 

        At practice, Giancarlo joined Tiberio in giving instructions. Uberto felt Giancarlo's eyes on him often during the day. Things went well, however, and under the direction of both of them much was learned. Each of the men in training was now able to attack the hanging pell without getting hit by it. They seemed  to be gaining confidence by the hour. Neither Tiberio nor Giancarlo spoke about the message they would deliver to the people. Like everyone else, the young men would have to wait.

                                                                                               * * *

       The courtyard bustled with activity, and the crowd pressed forward toward the hastily assembled raised platform standing in front of the stronghold. The evening sky was darkening when six people ascended the rough hewn steps to the top. They included Giancarlo, Tiberio and two each of their knights. 

        Carina and others of her family had privileged positions in front, and from there she watched Giancarlo. He was focused on discussions with the men around him, not even looking toward her. He seemed as rugged as ever, handsome, and very much in control. She saw him look out over the crowd, and for a moment their eyes met. He didn't acknowledge her, but she saw a slight smile register on his face. That was enough for the moment.

        Carina was caught up in the same excitement everyone else felt. Never before in memory had every member of the manor from highest to lowest been addressed at the same time. Never had the number of people in the manor been so large—so many people for whom it provided employment and protection. She felt a tinge of fear which added to her excitement. She also felt a new sense of pride, knowing that such a powerful man as Giancarlo might become her husband. She didn't know why, but the thought was suddenly intoxicating. He is only a man, she reminded herself as her father began to speak.

        "My people, there is much we must tell you tonight. We have all been anxious about the Saracens, the savage infidels who have come from afar to kill and conquer in the name of Allah, their god of war. They have still not been defeated and therefore we must prepare ourselves to fight this unholy and vicious enemy. Listen well, my people, because we all must work to defend ourselves from their onslaught. Count Giancarlo has just returned from Nice, and he will tell us the latest information we have on their position in our country."

        Giancarlo stepped forward to the center of the stage and for a moment he looked out over the crowd. The crowd hushed as each person waited anxiously for him to speak. "My friends, knights, honored family of Tiberio, and all you who enjoy the protection of his house. These are difficult times, and we are pressed by an enemy who has no regard for our lives or our beliefs. They pillage, kill indiscriminately, and those who are left are forced to convert to their evil god. They come from afar mounted on their swift steeds, conquering every country they have encountered with their wicked swords. But they will not do so here." Giancarlo's last words were spoken loudly, and he waited for them to register on the crowd. Then, even louder, he proclaimed, "Francia will not be conquered!" He lifted up his sword. The applause was deafening.