Fighting--the unfortunate dark man

Sword practice started out, as usual, with attacking the pells. It continued with calisthenics after which came one-on-one sword fights. No one but Tiberio  knew who would fight who. He called out the first two names. The two men were closely matched in skill level and fought each other well. Tiberio led the discussion afterward and Uberto was thinking he might be the next to be called. He was, and his opponent was Coco. The two glanced at each other. Coco had already surprised everyone by previously beating a much larger trainee who was considered to be one of the best. He and Uberto left the group to put on the thick leather armor.

        They faced off, swords ready, awaiting Tiberio's signal. Uberto sized up Coco. He was smaller than him in both height and weight. He knew he was extremely quick. The signal was given and both fighters stood their ground, not moving. Then Coco thrust forward with his weapon, obviously a feint, that Uberto didn't fall for.

         Uberto advanced a short distance and dropped to one knee, the size of the target he presented thereby reduced. He held his shield before him. Coco lowered his buckler and raised his sword. He suddenly caught Uberto's shield with his own and at the same time delivered a powerful downward blow. Uberto instinctively knew it was coming and strong-armed his shield away from Coco's. Coco's waster clattered on top Uberto's buckler, stunning for a moment the hand that held it.

        No matter, Uberto was quickly on his feet and thrusting at an angle toward Coco's chest. Coco whirled to the right, away from the blade, but it caught him in the stomach, having first glanced off his shield. Coco regarded Uberto warily, knowing he had narrowly avoided death. He backed off and Uberto cautiously advanced. He knew well the danger of charging a competent sword fighter.

         They engaged, shield against shield, both attempting with a downward slice to cut each other's legs. Backing off,  they lashed out again, the hilts of their swords catching momentarily as they parried. Standing side by side with swords locked, Coco struck with his knee at Uberto's groin only to have it pounded by the pommel of Uberto's sword. Coco groaned with pain but didn't lose his composure, and as they backed away he brought his weapon down in a wide loop toward Uberto's kidney. Uberto swung away from the strike, managing to get his sword up in time to stop the momentum of Coco's weapon.

        Now Uberto was at a disadvantage, with his sword pressed against his shield on his left side. He pushed his buckler at Coco, trying to gain space for his sword. Coco held his ground and with a twist of his wrist flipped his sword squarely onto Uberto's shoulder. Then he quickly pulled it back, a slice that could cut off a head had the blade been steel and not wood. Uberto was already in motion however, bringing his shield up to knock the sword away while at the same time delivering a quick thrust to Coco's heart.

        This time, Coco, thinking that he had the upper hand, was not quick enough. He was propelled back by the power of Uberto's stab to his chest, barely keeping his balance. Regaining his footing, he waited. Both men were flushed with sweat.

        "Stop!" yelled Tiberio, who added, "Well done."

        They went to the side to take off the armor as Tiberio began the discussion that followed each battle. When the lengthy analysis was finished, he dismissed the others but told Uberto and Coco to remain. 

        Walking to them he said, "I want to commend you two. I have been watching you and I am impressed how you have both put your heart into training. How much you have improved was quite evident today. You two put on a display of some of the best sword fighting I have ever seen. Go on now to supper. I will be expecting both of you to do just as well when fighting from a horse."

        Uberto and Coco walked away together toward the gate of the stronghold. They knew Tiberio rarely gave praise, which made his  words all the more gratifying.