Night entertainment

She saw men ahead felling trees. On coming closer, she recognized Uberto and his two companions.

        Uberto looked up from his work and let the axe head drop to the ground. Carina came riding toward them, her auburn hair gleaming in the sunlight, and her windswept kirtle emphasizing her figure. Songs could be made of this, thought Uberto.

        "Hi," he said, lifting his free hand toward her.

         "Hi," she answered, looking at him and the two others who had also stopped working.

        "A fine horse, your mount, nice lines, and I would say well trained."

        "I trained her myself, with my father's help, of course."

        "Will you be at the hall tonight, to celebrate our success?" he asked.

        "Yes, it is expected of me. I am grateful indeed to you three for rescuing me from the Giabaldies."

        Uberto noticed that though she spoke to the three of them she looked only at him. "It is our honor to serve," he answered, bowing slightly in her direction.

        "I will ride now, and see if Callista still has good speed. Adios."

       Uberto lifted his hand in parting as she sped away at a fast gallop along the forest trail.

        "She is herself a spirited filly," said Wotano.

        "Still untamed and very hard to catch," added Guy.

        Uberto watched until the trail turned and she was out of sight. Then he picked up the long axe and continued chopping down the tree.

        After a hard day of working in the warm sun, Uberto and his friends were glad to bathe in the nearby forest stream. Returning to the fortress, they noticed the weather turning cooler. Darkness was quickly falling, and bright stars and a crescent moon appeared in the heavens. The three climbed the stairs, passing the outer room to enter the great hall, where men and women lounged on mats and coverlets by the dim light of wall sconces.

Several large containers  of meat, bread and fruit were on the tables, and there were two kegs of wine. The heat of the sun had not penetrated the thick walls of the stronghold, but a fire on the hearth spread warmth and added its soft light to that of the candles. Near the fireplace, on the raised stoop along the wall, Uberto saw Carina. She was not alone but with her sister-in-law, Antonia. Four other women were there, Romero's young wife, who sat next to him, the wives of two knights, and Carina's Aunt Dora, who sat alone.

Uberto heard parts of many conversations, though they were often drowned out by the much louder voices of three knights playing dice.  On the far side of the fireplace, a knight reenacted a battle before an audience of two men and a woman. With his right hand, he used sword fighting movements to emphasize his story. Uberto and his companions went to a table, helped themselves to wine and food, and sat down to eat.

        Tiberio was talking to those  near him, and as he continued to speak his voice grew louder. People stopped their own conversations to listen to him. Tiberio praised the men who had rescued the horses and livestock, and he spoke of the ongoing expansion. He singled out Giancarlo for commendation. Raising his mug, he encouraged everyone to enjoy the wine and food. 

        Ruggiero, one of Giancarlo's men, stood up. In a short speech he praised Tiberio for the food, wine and hospitality, adding that he enjoyed smelling the fresh air of the countryside. Tiberio spoke again to accept Ruggiero's compliments. Apparently he knew of Ruggiero's talents, for he invited him to play a few songs after he finished eating. Then he casually walked toward Uberto.