Back home to Carina

It was a long journey back to Renzo's domain. Uberto admitted to himself that sometimes Wotano got on his nerves. He was always talking about the peasant girl of his, imagining aloud how they would live together and how he would do things for her and her for him. Wotano envisioned a comfortable lifestyle with his doing knightly things and she tending the kettle and the children. They would be married in no time, Uberto had no doubt, and soon be having babies. She was a cheerful girl and he would happily wish them well at their wedding.

His friend, Guy, also had his woman, quiet and slender. Who knows, they might have married already while he and Wotano were away. As for himself, he could not predict the future. The dark haired daughter of the blacksmith was attractive and agreeable. What more could a man want? The question was hard for Uberto to answer.

Chapter Twenty-Four

The fall colors were glorious, and the leaves were beginning to tumble from the trees as Uberto and twelve others, knights and pikemen, entered the forest leading to their home. Many hours later, when they appeared at the edge of the fields, the tower guard alerted the people of their coming. Once within the gates, they were given a surprised welcome back by those in the courtyard. Few had expected their return.

They were asked immediately about the Saracens. The growing crowd became jubilant when they learned the enemy had been defeated. Word of victory was shouted in the courtyard and soon wives and family members heard of it and came to hug joyfully and tearfully their long parted warriors.

Carina heard the commotion while at the loom. She finished the section she was working on and went to the window to see if those returning were still there. They weren't. Brushing some lint from her kirtle, she thought a moment before opening the door to leave. She would see Uberto for the first time in almost two months. How should she act?

She had chosen to wed Giancarlo at the urging of her father and sister-in-law. Would Uberto still be a friend? And she, how would she feel in his presence? So much had changed with the death of her father and Giancarlo. She didn't think she was the same person. She went to the hall for supper knowing he might come while she was there.

Uberto and Wotano went to find Renzo. They knew he would want to hear first hand from them about the victory, and learn what remaining threat the Saracens posed. They found him in his apartment with his family.

"Congratulations," he said, greeting them warmly at the door. "The news has already reached us."

"Yes," said Antonia, giving both Uberto and Wotano a hug. "Welcome home. Uberto, you look a bit thinner. Sit down. I will get you both food and wine."

"You don't know how concerned we all were when you were so long in returning," said Renzo. "I will admit we thought the worst. Tell us all that happened."

Uberto and Wotano commenced to tell him all about the battle. Antonia also came and listened, once she had warmed food for them and put the children to bed. By the time Renzo had finished discussing with the two knights the present situation of the invaders and the future threat they might present, it was late, and Antonia had fallen asleep next to her husband. Renzo thanked Uberto and Wotano for giving him a complete report.

When they left his apartment, the two of them had no other thought than to go to bed. To sleep on a mattress of soft hay was far better than anything they had known for many weeks. Uberto looked forward to the next morning when he would bathe, put on fresh clothes, and meet those he cared about.

On the following day, Renzo proclaimed that the next day would be a holiday in thanksgiving for the defeat of the Saracens. Everyone would be free from having to work on any land of the manor, and they were all invited to a noon repast in the great hall. For the knights and their ladies, the celebration would continue until late in the evening, with wine, food, music and story telling. Even dancing if they were so inclined.

Carina was glad when she learned of the holiday. It was the first time her brother had given the peasants any time off since he had become lord of the manor. Of course, there had been little reason to do so as there had been nothing to celebrate. The fear of the Saracens had been foremost in everyone's consciousness, and the chill in the air and shortening hours of daylight didn't help to raise anyone's spirits.

Now that it was known the infidels had been defeated, Carina immediately noticed a more relaxed and lively manner among her people. She sensed it even in herself. The sunshine of the present day and the prospect of music and merriment were helping to ease the sting of losses she would never forget.

Carina went to the stable for Callista. The stable boy readied the animal for riding, and she walked her horse to the gate, talking to her. Callista was very good at listening, and Carina was able to tell her anything. As she lightly held her reins, Carina spoke into Callista's ear, telling the horse what a time she had had.

She told Callista she had even given up her faith, not believing in a God who would allow those she loved to be killed. Carina smiled a little when she told the animal she thought her belief was coming back. Callista turned to her, licking her face. Carina took the horse's great head in her hands and kissed her nose. Then, after passing the gate, she mounted and galloped away.

On her return, Carina rode Callista back leisurely, regarding from a distance the fortified manor, seeing it as it would be seen by peasants working in the fields. She came near to Coco's house, though didn't stop, before going back through the gate.

After leaving the horse at the stable, she decided to walk around the courtyard, to observe the ordinary things the people were doing. She realized she had lately been so caught up in her own sorrow, she had scarcely taken notice of her people. Now she wanted to look at them, to see what they were about, to take an interest in them.

The peasant's labor might be taken for granted, but she knew without them there would be no manor. They were hard working, and she felt an appreciation for them. She went to the side of the courtyard where the carpenters and the blacksmith had their small shops. The two joiners were both gone but at the blacksmith's she was surprised to see Uberto. He was talking to Tonia, the smith's daughter. They looked up as she approached.

"Hi," she said, feeling she was interrupting whatever they were talking about.

Tonia said nothing but Uberto put down the metal he was holding in his hand and stepped toward her saying, "It's good to see you again."

"I am so glad you are safe," she said, feeling she wanted to say much more. "Congratulations. I'm probably the last one to commend you."

"Actually Tonia," he turned toward the girl, "said the same thing minutes ago."

"He's a hero but he takes it in stride as if it were nothing," said Tonia.

Carina looked at her closely and said, "It is when he sings that he shows his feelings."

Not many more parts left in this story. Feel sure you are going to like them.

A little writing news

You can find Dark Age Maiden by going to the advanced search section on Amazon. In fact, would love it if you gave a review of it there if you've been enjoying the book.  If you also write, and have a book or shorter work you would like to publish, it is not too hard to do through Createspace.com. You can find info there to help you do it. Thank you so much for all your reads, votes and comments.