Her brother's news and a candlelight dance

The day of the banquet arrived. The entire community was up and about as  preparations were being made for the infrequent event. In his gratitude and thanks for their deliverance, Tiberio wanted everyone in his domain to enjoy the evening. Even the peasant farmers and their wives and children were invited to the feast. Savory smells emanated from the kitchen, and Giancarlo's six musicians could be heard tuning up in an adjacent room.

The great hall was brightly decorated in red and white for the occasion and its walls were lit with dozens of candles. At any moment a trumpet would announce the beginning of festivities. It sounded, and the peasants, some dressed in colorful finery reserved for special occasions, began streaming into the hall. They found tables laden with venison, duck, fresh baked bread, tarts, diced apples, pears, vegetables and hogsheads of wine.                                                           

The horn sounded again, and Tiberio and his family came to take their places at the two large head tables. Among them were his sister, Dora, Carina, her two brothers, and her sister-in-law, Antonia. Also there were Giancarlo and Romero, the chief steward, and several knights and their wives.  Carina's father, Tiberio, sat as usual at his favored place—facing toward the length of the hall where he could watch it filling up with peasantry. 

       Carina sat next to her younger brother, Amadeo, and she watched with interest as people began sitting down and the great hall became electric with chatter and clamor. She heard the horn sound once again, this time calling for quiet. Her father rose to speak. He was still a handsome man she thought, whose voice was powerful enough to carry through the hall.

         "My people, esteemed benefactors, and welcome guests. Today we honor and give thanks to the staunch fighters who routed the enemy and restored our liberty. Several have agreed to stay on to help us rebuild our fortifications, making them larger and stronger than ever before. First and foremost, I want you to recognize and acclaim my old friend, Count Giancarlo of Nice, without whose military skill we would not be here tonight. Count Giancarlo, please stand up."

        Carina watched as Giancarlo, garbed in black with a silver band at his neck, stood up next to her father and acknowledged the applause of the crowd by raising his right hand toward them. 

        Tiberio continued. "Not only did Count Giancarlo and his men destroy the vile Giabaldies besieging us, he has brought his musicians from Nice for our listening and dancing pleasure." His words were met with another round of applause.  "Next, I would like to introduce to you Uberto, House of Gaetano, and his comrades Guy and Wotano. Stand up gentlemen. These honorable fighters saved my daughter from capture or worse at the hands of the Giabaldies." Carina watched as Uberto, with strands of dark hair partially covering his forehead, and his friends rose from the table to accept the cheers of the crowd. His glance turned to her, and she lowered her eyes.

        "Last, but certainly not least, we want to recognize our own staunch fighting men, Corrado, Enzo, Luigi, Christoforo, and Ugo and my sons Renzo and Amadeo and all those who manned the walls to keep the enemy at bay until help arrived. Stand up, my fellow knights and be honored." They stood up to enthusiastic applause.

        "And now, my fair people," said Tiberio, "I won't keep you much longer from your dinner and entertainment. But first, our Father Carlo is here tonight, and will invoke the Almighty to give thanks for our safety and to bless the bountiful food we are about to eat." He sat down and Father Carlo gave the benediction. When he finished, everyone wasted no time partaking of the bountiful repast.                            

         Carina sat talking with her younger brother, Amadeo. As they talked, she noted his dark head of hair, with ringlets at his forehead and ears. He was wearing his favorite tanned leather cape, fastened in front with a bright brooch,  over his stitched dark tunic, the one she had made him. In the busy two days since her return she had scarcely seen him. She was glad he seemed to have overcome the depression that had long been with him after he had been crippled. In fact, at the moment he seemed especially cheery.