Meeting the Count, a man of power and intrigue

Willfully turning her mind from him, she thought, This is definitely the way to travel. She wished her family still had horses.   

         "What is so important that you must travel alone through this great forest?" he asked, breaking the silence.

         "It is nothing to you," she answered, too shortly she realized, to one who was aiding her journey. "There is a reason. I cannot tell you." 

        "I understand," he replied.

         She knew he didn't.

        They continued along in silence, and he picked a leaf from a tree.  "Do you know what this is?"

        "A leaf, of course."

        "True, and what kind? Smell it if you need to."

        "It smells flavorful, though a little pungent."

        "It's sassafras. It makes a refreshing tea. You didn't know?"

        For some reason Carina hated to admit to him she didn't and said, "Of course, we use it all the time."

        "The leaves?"

        "What else?"

        "Most people use the roots. You must like your tea extremely weak," he said with a smile.

        Carina realized she had been caught in a lie over something so trivial it scarcely mattered. She felt angry with herself and didn't know why.

        They moved steadily toward their destination, much faster than she could have walked. At last, they reached the edge of the forest and were already at the outskirts of Nice. In the distance Carina could see the vast walls of the city built on a mountain. They followed along one of the roads through the fields and soon arrived at the base of a steep hill. They both dismounted and he led the horse forward. On reaching the top, thick walls appeared before them, and finding a massive gate, they stood before it.

        "Who goes there?" came the rough voice of a guard from above.

        "I am Lady Carina, House of Tiberio, escorted by Uberto, house of. . ."

        "House of  Gaetano," Uberto finished for her.

        "What is your business?"

        "I am here to see Count Giancarlo."

        "Enter."

         The gate lifted and they passed through it just as the sun dipped below the western sky. In the twilight shadows they saw people hurriedly moving about, likely returning to their dwellings before nightfall. Several large structures stood outlined against the sky including a church and a huge building. Carina thought it must be the residence of a lord. Uberto pointed to it, saying, "That is his stronghold."

         Carina took a deep breath, knowing so much depended on her. They proceeded to travel along the darkening streets toward the impressive structure. She walked up to its massive, iron reinforced door while Uberto waited in the street as she knocked. Raising her voice she called out, "Count Giancarlo, it is I, Carina, Tiberio's daughter."

        The door slowly creaked open. A white haired man appeared from behind and held it open for her. Carina moved past him to go inside. Then, thinking of the help Uberto had been to her, she stepped outside. With one hand on the door she said in a loud voice, "Thank you, Uberto." She waved goodbye.