Not easily won

Chapter Four

        Giancarlo and his men were ushered into the hold as heroes, as were Uberto and his two companions. The next two days were spent repairing the fences, hunting for game and edible plants, salting and smoking meat and fish and in general restocking the larders and getting ready for a feast. Giancarlo and Tiberio spent much time together, renewing their friendship and making plans for the future.

        Now, however, Giancarlo was alone, thinking in the darkness of his room about his own plans. He expected to stay on for a time, to expedite enlarging and strengthening the fortifications and to retrieve the stolen horses and livestock from the Giabaldies. He also wanted to remain near Carina, who held an irresistible attraction for him.

Already, his son, Leonardo, as well as Donato, who was much recovered from his wound, and several more of his men had returned to Nice. They would augment the military force there and send back his musicians. Giancarlo had been busy making plans with Tiberio for what would be a major expansion of his manor. He had seen Carina only in passing. He smiled, knowing the upcoming feast would provide opportunity.

       The next day Tiberio declared a holiday for all, except for those who were needed to hunt and trap and those preparing the feast. The breaking of the siege and freedom from manor obligations quickly put everyone in high spirits. It allowed time for the people, who had been trapped inside the fortress for months, to walk about, visit, and breathe once again the fresh air of farm and meadow land.

        Carina took advantage of the holiday to ride a borrowed horse past the farmlands to the far side of the estate. Looking at the manor from afar, she saw how small its stockade appeared in comparison to the walls of Nice. Nevertheless, she felt at home within its stout timbers and had happy memories. She knew her father enjoyed renewing his friendship with Giancarlo and was sure the two of them were making plans for the future. For the first time in a year she felt safe, knowing the Giabaldies had been defeated. She took note of the old palisade. Soon it would be replaced by one large enough to protect the livestock as well as the people. Her father wanted the project to be completed as soon as possible.

      Tiberio had wisely located his estate away from the main traveled roads and nestled it in the hills. What he needed now were defenders. Farmers, there were plenty, and sometimes they had to be turned away. However he had only a few swordsmen, although peasants could help to man the ramparts. Trustworthy skilled fighting men were hard to find, though armed ruffians on the lookout for loot and women were common.

        Pensively, Carina thought about herself as she slowly walked her horse. Where did she fit in? She had already turned down Romero, who was a freeholder and foreman of the peasant farmers. Her refusal made her father angry. For two weeks he had stopped talking to her. It wasn't that she was proud. Romero would have been suitable, but he had a mean streak her father never saw that made her as well as the peasants fear him. When she refused him, she was glad of her Roman blood. Had her father been pure German he would never have allowed her to turn Romero down.

        Carina was still slowly riding her horse when she espied Uberto through the foliage. He was riding on one of the narrow paths between the fields which led to the forest at the edge of the manor. Then, for a time she didn't see him. As she was passing behind a lone pear tree she caught sight of him again. He was coming toward her and his pace was quickening. For some reason, unknown even to herself, Carina decided to elude him, and she urged her horse to go faster. She saw that Uberto had also picked up the pace and was shortening the distance between them. Soon, he was riding alongside her and she slowed her horse.

       "A fine day for riding," he said in greeting.                           

       "I like riding alone," she stated, watching him to see how he would react.

       He hardly batted an eye and said, "It is obvious you are not afraid."

      "Not here, no," she answered.

       "I've wanted to talk to you. Things have changed."

       "Very much."

         "I have been talking to your father. Do you know of his plans?"

        "I know he wants to restore his losses."

     "That and more. He intends to build a much larger manor, increase the size of the courtyard, build ramparts, add more peasant families and bring in archers and fighting men. He has told me he wants to talk with me and my companions about a temporary assignment after which we may become permanent residents, taking an oath of fealty. Our duties would include working on the fortifications with days off to sharpen our fighting skills. If we stay we will receive land and remain permanently as knights, protectors of the manor. What say you to all this?"

        Carina knew where he was leading. Noncommittally she said, "It is your decision to make, Uberto. Why ask me?"

        "I have learned much about becoming a knight, but it is not my only interest. I wish to be welcome where I choose to stay."

        Noting how he was watching her eyes she replied, "I welcome you then, Uberto," meeting his gaze. She didn't say what she was thinking; she herself might not long remain in her father's domain.

* * *

         Although they had hugged warmly when she had returned with Giancarlo and his men, Carina had not really talked with her father. Too much had been going on. But now he had sent for her. Whenever he did that, she knew he had something important to say. The sun had just set in the evening sky as she hurried along to his upper chamber. She knocked respectfully, and on entering saw him sitting comfortably behind his great desk in a room lit by three glowing candles. It was here where he made most of his decisions.

        "Carina, I've hardly seen you," he said, rising from his chair to give her a hug.  "Sit down, sit down."

     I know," she said. "It's been a bustle of activity since I've returned home."

        Carina took a good look at her father. She always took comfort in his size; he was almost a head taller, and still of robust constitution. His beard was cut short, the way he liked it, a blend of gray and white, like his hair.

        "Many things have had to be done immediately, and other matters settled," he continued. "It's all because of you. Bringing back Giancarlo was something I could scarcely have hoped for, never mind that I would not have sent you because of the risk. You're a brave girl, Carina. Too brave, I'm afraid, but I'm proud you're my daughter."

        "Father, you know you've always been my hero."

        "You know I've had to be both father and mother to you since your mother died. Growing up with no sister and two brothers, you've never had an opportunity to learn women's ways. Which is wrong, because you are one."

        "I've known you've felt that way, but honestly father, I don't miss it so much. One doesn't have to be soft just because one is a woman."

        "Yes, yes, you're right of course, but there's more to it than that. It's an attitude. A willingness to be led by the stronger sex."

        "Is this about marriage?"

        "Carina, you're not getting any younger, and it just so happens we have two very eligible men in our company now."

        "I could guess, but who are you thinking of father?"

        "My old friend, Count Giancarlo, for one, and that brave young man, Uberto. I think you could have either one, Carina."

      "Oh, father!" she replied, attempting to hide her feelings. "Uberto is such an outlandish romantic. You should have seen him the first time we met, singing his honeyed love songs to someone he couldn't even see. And Giancarlo," she hesitated to think of something negative to say. "Isn't he a little old?"

      "Nonsense, Carina. You need a strong man in these times. Giancarlo could give you a lot, and he would tame you."

          Carina eyed her father at his last sentence. Boldly, she replied, "Or maybe I would tame him."