Her rescue doesn't go smoothy

Unknown to her, five knights, Giancarlo, Tiberio, Uberto, Donato and Coco had slipped over the wall at the other side of the town at the top of a steep, forested hill. They had descended the hill and had been circling back through the woods. Now, they had reached the area behind the enemy where they could see the tents. They carried with them a blanket stretcher they would use if they found Carina alive but unable to walk. They spoke in hushed voices.

        “The large tent in the middle is probably that of their leader and his lieutenants,” whispered Giancarlo. “See, there are guards stationed outside of it. My guess is she is held in one of the other two. Those tents can hold up to five people. In order to rescue Carina, it will be our task to quickly and silently kill those guarding her. First, we must find out which one she is in.”

        “I will check the one on the right,” volunteered Uberto.

        “I will look in the other,” said Donato.

        “Good,” said Giancarlo. “Carefully circle to the sides opposite the guards near the big tent and quietly cut the tent skin with your knife. If you lie next to the opening and put your eye to it I think you will be able to tell if she is there. Note the position of those we must kill. Then come back and we will attack together. Move carefully, slowly, to avoid being seen.”

        Inside the tent, Carina was listening, thinking she had heard something other than the moaning of men who were wounded or dying. It seemed to be coming from just outside. Though it had been a windless night, her tent was shaking a little as if someone was doing something to the hide. Though tied securely she twisted her body and head to see. There was now a hole in the side of the tent, and as she watched, the opening was covered up by something dark.

She stared at it and realized it was an eye. She could barely move, tied up as she was, and she hardly dared to speak, lest her captors waken. She made a scarcely audible sound, hoping it would be enough for whoever was outside to hear. The small opening appeared again and she heard a slight movement away from the tent. What did it mean? Her heart swelled with the hope it could be rescuers.

       Uberto could hardly contain his joy when he saw Carina’s vague shape in the tent and heard her soft murmur. He slowly and carefully made his way back to the others and told them the good news that she was there. He reported that she appeared to be bound with rope and gave the positions of the two guards who were on either side of her.

Giancarlo decided they should take separate paths to the tent and meet there, set on the two guards, and quickly slit their throats so they couldn’t cry out. Then they would untie the ropes binding Carina. If she was injured they would carry her back the way they had come using the wool stretcher.

        Silently, one at a time they moved to the tent. Then they stepped into it, swiftly killing the sleeping guards. They cut the ropes binding Carina. She stood up and immediately fell down again, her circulation restricted by the ropes. Letting them know she was alright, she followed them out, wearing a dark blanket around her shoulders to cover her bright tunic.

        Everything had gone well, and after they were in the woods again, out of immediate danger, Giancarlo hugged his bride warmly as did her father. Carina knew she would always be endeared to each of the brave knights who risked their lives to save her. Returning the way they had come, the small group again neared the city walls. Giancarlo whispered to them to walk as silently as possible as sentries might be making their rounds.

They approached the wall and Donato made the prearranged bird call. There was no response. He made the sound again. Finally a rope ladder was dropped and Carina began climbing it followed by Donato. Then, they heard the sound of footsteps, and from the left four Saracens appeared. They clashed swords with Uberto, Tiberio, Coco and Giancarlo. Two more Saracens came rushing to the fight from the other side.

        “Get up there quick!” whispered Donato to Carina who was nearing the top of the wall. He dropped from the ladder to aid in the skirmish. Though it was six Saracens against five, Giancarlo and Uberto quickly dispatched their opponents and went to help Tiberio who was fighting two of them. They swiftly overcame the Saracens, running them through, but it was too late. Tiberio had taken a sword to his torso and he knelt dizzily on the ground, holding a blood drenched hand to his breast.

        From the top of the wall Carina looked back at them, not able to see in the darkness that her father was down. She heard Giancarlo’s whispered voice. “Two ropes.”

        Carina didn’t understand at first why they didn’t just climb up the ladder. Then she realized one of them must have been hurt in the battle. She passed the word to those who had let down the first ladder to drop the ropes. Once they were down, Giancarlo and Uberto put Tiberio on the stretcher and tied the ropes to it. Then the men on top the wall slowly pulled up his body.

       Carina gasped when she saw it was her father who was wounded. She turned to Giancarlo and Uberto who had climbed up the ladder.

        “He took a sword in the chest,” said Giancarlo.

        “He is breathing though unconscious,” added Uberto.

        “Take him to his bed,” Giancarlo said to the others. “We must send for Oriana immediately.”

         They took him to his room, laid him in his bed, and lighting two candles, removed his tunic and undergarment. Carina winced when she saw the deep oozing wound on the right side of his chest. She found a piece of white cloth, and kneeling next to the low lying bed, she wiped the blood from around the wound.

        Oriana came into the room. She took one look at Tiberio, and opening her bag, knelt down next to Carina. She dipped a thick piece of fabric into the wound. Then she took out a small pottery vessel, removed its stopper, and poured it sparingly into the lesion. Carina saw her father’s body quiver as the thick liquid made contact with his skin. From another container Oriana took a thick odorous salve and spread it on the wound and the surrounding area. Lastly, she applied a bandage.

        She stood up, and Carina did also. Turning to her, Oriana put her hand on her shoulder and said, “It is deep, Carina. “I have done what can be done for him now. If he awakens, send for me. I will give him something to help with the pain and for healing. He must not be moved. Even when awake he should move as little as possible so the inside can heal. I will come again at daybreak tomorrow. Courage, Carina. He will need your help if he is to pull through.”

        The men who had rescued Carina had silently watched everything Oriana had done. They began leaving the room. There was nothing else they could do. Giancarlo hugged his wife in parting and said he would ask Bishop Gregorio to intercede to the Almighty for Tiberio. 

        Uberto stood back, his gaze fixed on the unmoving figure of Tiberio. He turned to look at Carina and saw the deep sorrow and concern in her eyes. No longer able to hold her because she belonged to another, he lifted his hand in farewell and saw her troubled eyes follow him out of the room. For her sake, he could only hope and pray that Tiberio would recover. 

NOTE  Here, now, in a land foreign to me, how great it is that the internet and Wattpad are still accessible. Thank for your good wishes on my journey. And, MOST IMPORTANTLY, thank you very much for your reads, comments and votes.