Chapter XXI

A sheet of mist lay upon the dark waters of the Andúin. It was thick and seemingly impenetrable. The one thing that seemed mighty enough to pierce through that veil of dampness was an elegant boat carved in the likeness of a swan. It flowed gracefully across the river and landed on the shore. The Fellowship had gathered as the boat appeared, carrying in it the Lady of Light.

On the white, sandy shore of Lórien, Elven cloaks of gray spun wool were being fastened around the necks of each member of the Fellowship, held together with green, silver-veined leaf brooches.

"Never before have we clad strangers in the garb of our own people," Lord Celeborn said. "May these cloaks help shield you from unfriendly eyes."

Gwen looked down at her new cloak, fingering the brooch thoughtfully. This was very different from what she was used to. For years she had been adorned in the clothing of that of a Ranger. Lightweight clothing, a simple brown tunic, breeches, and riding boots, was solely used. A thin cloak of dark gray, with a coarse, woolen mask to shield their face, was their means of camouflage. It was not very warm, nor was it much of a help in wet weather, yet the simplicity worked for them. It allowed for an easier burden while traveling, and a quick and affirmative solution for camouflage. It benefited them.

But now, this cloak felt... different. It didn't feel normal, or secure, or even very useable. It was heavy, and so very, very thick. It was long, trailing close to the earthen ground - her old one went only to her knees.

She had to admit, it was very warm. Much warmer than her other one, at least, and it resembled the color of the rocky earth more so than her other one had. Perhaps that would come in handy.

"Are you coming, Gwen?" The voice of Legolas spoke through her cloud of thoughts. "We are preparing to leave."

"Yes," Gwen nodded. "Yes, I'm coming."

She made her way over the edge of the water, where three large, wooden canoes waited for them, floating in the water. She sat down inside of one, watching as the Lórien Elves prepared for the departure of the Fellowship. Legolas was among them, shifting through several parcels that were found in the boats provided by the Galadhrim. He held up a thin wafer for Merry and Pippin, who were out of ways to cause mischief and already seated in a boat.

"Lembas!" He exclaimed, smiling. "Elvish Way-bread. One small bite is enough to fill the stomach of a grown man."

He took a small bite, nodding towards the Halflings, of whom Gwen noted were smiling and nodding, a  little too innocently.

Legolas, clueless to the Halflings' demeanor, stood up, walking away.

"How many did you eat?" Gwen heard Merry ask Pippin.

"Four." Pippin said, burping.

Shortly thereafter, it time for the Fellowship to depart. The Elves had made sure they were as prepared as they could be, for the journey south was a hard and dangerous one. They had been told legions of large Orcs bearing the mark of a White Hand had been spotted along the western shores. They weren't like regular Orcs, who only traveled when the sun was down. They were larger, stronger and smarter. They ran all day and all night without rest.   

Legolas and Gimli came over towards Gwen's boat, as the three would be boating together. The two helped Gimli over and into the boat, as he was slightly overweight and not very balanced on the water.

Shortly after, the others sat down in there boats. Sam hesitantly stepped into his, one he shared with Aragorn and Frodo.

Gwen noticed something in Aragorn's eyes as she watched him assist Sam. Was it sadness? Pain? Anger? She knew not. She did know that he had spoken alone with Lord Celeborn, so it was something in their talk she knew that had triggered this emotion in Aragorn that, unlike other times, he could not conceal.

~~~

Several hours and passed. All around them was silence, except the occasional paddle splashing into the water. By now the sun was reaching its rosy fingers over the hills; Caras Galadhon rose far away, in the mists. As they rounded a shore, voices could be heard singing faintly.