Chapter XXXII

The Orcs continued to destroy all of Osgiliath's defenses, failing to exhaust neither their arrow supply nor the rubble of the fallen city to fling at the despondent Men of Gondor.

However, there were two soldiers who were not fighting, as they currently had a much greater mission at hand: Protect Frodo at all costs. As the arrows tiredlessly flew through the air, Faramir and Gwen lead the Halflings and Gollum through the lowest level of the city, wading through the flooded streets in their attempt to find a safe passage out of the city.

"This is the old sewer," Faramir said as they came upon an abandoned alcove. "It runs right under the river through to the edge of the city. You'll find cover in the woods there."

"Captain Faramir," Sam said, looking up at the captain. "You have shown your quality, sir. The very highest," he said sincerely.

Faramir smiled slightly at Sam's words. "The Shire must truly be a great realm, Master Gamgee, where gardeners are held in high honor." 

Frodo, who had been looking towards Gwen while Sam and Faramir exchanged words, spoke up. "You're not coming with us, are you, Gwen?" He asked sadly. Sam, a startled and surprised look settling on his face, looked up.

Gwen opened her mouth to speak, but just as quickly closed it. Her gaze landed on Faramir, who was looking at her just as expectantly as the Halflings before her. Slowly, she looked down at the sword she held, turning it in her hand to catch the last beams of dim sunlight. She remembered the day, all those years ago, when she was given this sword, forged by her old group of Rangers. She had taken an oath that day, to defend her land, whenever, or wherever, she was needed.
She lifted her eyes, kneeling and placing a hand on each of the Halflings shoulders. "This is where our journey. together ends, my friends, this is where I leave you."

A tear slipped out of Sam's eye, rolling down his cheek.

"My duty lies here now," she said, smiling softly. "We are all on our rightful paths once again. Do not weep for me, Sam, do not think we shall never see each other again. The day will come when we are all reunited, the whole Fellowship. Look forward to this day, think of it often, especially when you are feeling defeated."

"We will," Sam said tearfully.

Gwen wrapped her arms around Frodo and Sam, drawing them close. "May the light of all that is good guide you and keep you."

Standing up, she stepped back, looking proudly at the Halflings. Faramir placed a hand on her back, lending her some emotional support. "What road will you take once you reach the woods?" He asked.

"Gollum says there's a path near Minas Morgul that climbs up into the mountains," Frodo said. 

"Cirith Ungol?" Faramir asked in shock. "Gwen?" He turned to Gwen, demanding an explanation.

Gwen simply shook her head. "I tried to stop him," she said defeatedly. "He had already been convinced." She looked down poisonously at Gollum, who was trying to crawl away.

Faramir caught him, grabbing Gollum by the neck and pressing him up against the wall.

"Is that it's name?" He hissed.

"No, no!" Gollum laughed nervously. Faramir wrapped his fingers around his neck tighter. "Yes!" He admitted, squirming to get out of the Man's vice-like grip.

"Frodo," Faramir said, turning towards the Halflings. "They say a dark terror dwells in the passes above Minas Morgul. You should have listened to Gwen, you cannot go that way."

"It is the only way," Gollum gasped. "Master says we must go to Mordor, so we must try."

"I must," Frodo said. "What you and Gwen have told me are merely rumors," he said defiantly. "If it is the only other way, then I must go, rumors or no."