Chapter VII

They were in a field similar to the enchanted one. Flowers were everywhere, but these were blooming, reaching their petals proudly to the sky. The girl was laughing, running playfully away from her companion. He chased after her, grabbing her around the waist and swinging her around. She laughed heartily, pleading to be put down.

With one final twirl, the man set her down. The girl turned around and kissed him, wrapping her arms around his back.

Without a moments notice, the two were suddenly running down a hill. The girl tripped, pulling the man with her as they rolled down the hill the rest of the way. They came to a stop, the girl laying on her companion. They were both laughing, though out of breath. The girl played with his hair thoughtfully. She leaned down...

"Sir, I have found them!"

A voice invaded Gwen's dreams, rousing her to consciousness. She blinked her eyes, nearly blinded by the early morning sun. 

Faramir, too, sat up. "Who is there?" He called to the three horsemen who rode through the clearing. He stood up as they rode towards him.

As they neared, Faramir saw that it was Ramas, the Steward's head body guard and chief advisor. He was a despicable man who found no favor with Faramir.

Faramir returned his feelings.]

"Captain Faramir, you're father demands you return to Minas Tirith immediately," Ramas said as he slowed his horse to a stop and stood in front of Faramir. He glared in Gwen's direction. "The girl is called to his court for judgment."

"What did she do, may I ask?" Faramir asked, his words suddenly laced with confusion. 

"She is under arrest for trespassing." He motioned to the man on his right. "Bind her hands."

"Trespassing?" Gwen exclaimed in shock and anger.

"Now wait just a moment!" Faramir exclaimed, stepping in front of a livid Gwen protectively. "Trespassing? This is Gondor land!"

"This land is sacred, by order of the Steward. Only those of nobility are permitted to walk these grounds," the guard explained rather impatiently 

"And yet, here you are," Faramir said, placing a hand on the hilt of his sword, hidden by the folds of his cloak. "I knew naught the Steward had made this place sacred. I myself had discovered it just last month. The blame is on me, not on the lady. She is not to blame, and she will not be bound like a wild animal."

"I grow tired of this game, Captain. Step aside," Ramas rolled his eyes as he moved towards a terrified Gwen 

"You're right," Faramir countered. "I am Captain. Captain of the guard. You are under my command, and I order you to stand down." 

Ramas guffawed. "My orders come directly from the Steward, boy." He went to reach for Gwen's arm.

Faramir drew his sword, pointing it at Ramas' throat. "Over my dead body!" He hissed.

Ramas merely smirked. He motioned to his soldiers. Immediately the two riders drew their bows, aiming them at a now terrified Gwen. "Pull one more stunt, Captain, and those arrows will lodge themselves in her pretty little head. And you, you will be dragged to Denethor's court for treason." With an evil grin, Ramas watches as Faramir slowly lowered his sword, yet refusing to sheath it. He still held tightly to Gwen. 

"The lady will not be touched, I command it as a Captain of Gondor and son of the Steward," he repeated. 

"We heard the two of you sneak off last night," he sneered in a condescending tone, as if he was hinting at something dishonorable had taken place on these sacred grounds. "You took two horses with you. Those horses returned to the stables early this morning. Their tracks lead us right to you. You will ride them back." Without another word, he returned to his horse. "We leave immediately."