Chapter XXV

Little fires burned around them as they trekked through the wicked smelling swamp. It was perhaps the most miserable part of their journey; it was nearly dark all day, the ground was soft and uneven, causing their feet to get sucked in if they were not careful.

Gollum sauntered ahead of them on all fours as he lead  the trio through what they believed was a safe trek. Frodo and Sam were in the middle, Frodo several steps ahead of Sam, determination filling his steps as if it was the only way to convince himself that following Gollum was the right thing to do. Sam trailed behind, his feet slowing in the mud from the banks  from both looking around nervously at their surroundings while also trying to keep a constant eye on the creature in front of Frodo. Gwen took up the end of the group, keeping close in step behind Sam, urging him to keep going every so often when he would pause and look around in fright. The group was silent, not a word being said as they made their way through the marshes.

It was at times like these that Gwen's mind would wander. She never knew where in her memories her thoughts would land, but they almost always revolved around Gondor or her mother or Faramir. More often, she now noticed, they were of Boromir. His death haunted her both awake and in her dreams. She could not escape the traumatic memory of watching him be slaughtered by the Uruk arrows. Her stomach churned at the memory of him falling to his knees, awaiting his imminent fate at the hands of the Uruk Hai.

Splat.

Gwen's gaze focused on the Halfling in front of her. Sam was sprawled out in the muck, his limbs stuck down in the mud.

"Come, Sam," Gwen walked up to him and helped him to his feet. "I know you are anticipating the future," she nodded to Gollum ahead of them, "but be mindful of the present, I don't want you falling into the marsh."

Sam paid her no heed. His gaze was focused on the water to his right. "There are dead things!" He shouted. "Dead faces in the water!" His cries got the attention of the two travelers in front of him and Frodo and Gollum turned to see what the commotion was about.

"All dead." Gollum said. "All rotten. Elves and men and orcses. A great battle long ago."

"The Dead Marshes," Gwen said, suddenly aware of her surroundings. "I have read about this place. It was not something I felt the urge to see."

Gollum turned to face Gwen and the Halflings, a strange look upon his face, as if trying to remember.

"The Dead Marshes. Yes, yes! That is their name. This way -- don't follow the lights," he said before scampering off.

"Ohh!" Sam exclaimed, his foot slipping and going into the water, splashing away a shadow of a face.

"Easy, Sam," Gwen said, catching his shoulder and stabilizing him.

"Careful now!" Gollum called. "Or Hobbits go down to join the dead ones, and light little candles of their own." He glanced up at Gwen who was beginning to walk by him. "Big Hobbitses, too," he said, a cunning look in his eyes.

Gwen looked at him, her upper lip curling in disgust as she passed by him. She walked ahead, taking the lead by several feet and scouting out the ground, looking for any holes or dips in the marsh that Gollum might try to knowingly lead them into.

Splash

The noise made Gwen jump and a cold shudder ran down her spine. Her hand went to her sword as she swung around.

"Frodo!" Gwen heard Sam yell as she turned around.

Frodo was actively sinking into the murky water, limp as a board.

"Frodo!" Her cries joined Sam's as she began running towards him, undoing her cloak and throwing her sword aside, ready to go in after him.

There was one who was quicker than she. Gollum sped ahead of her, reaching his arm in all the way to his shoulder. He searched the thick, murky water, before finally grasping something and pulling hard. Frodo was flung onto the grass, coughing and looking at Gollum in disbelief.