Chapter XXX

Gwen watched at a loss of words as Frodo and Sam were lead roughly away. Frodo looked at her with a final pleading glance before he was taken her view. 

She covered her mouth in an attempt to silence the cry she feared would come out. She turned around, her head resting against the stone wall as her shoulders began to shake. 

"Come, we leave," Faramir instructed, attempting to lead her out of the room.

"No," Gwen said, her back still towards Faramir. Her fist was raised above her, resting on the stone wall. It shook in sequence with her shoulders, but it was not out of fear or grief. 

Her body was overwhelming shaking with anger.

"What?" Faramir said.

"I will not follow the order to hold the Halflings prisoner and lead Frodo to your father," she said, slowly turning her head to face him. Her fist opened, still up against the wall. Her finger nails began to press and dig into the stone, yet the pain was unknown to her as she confronted the Captain.

Faramir stared at her with a blank expression. "I am your captain." He finally said with a dark tone. "You will follow my orders."

"!" Gwen shouted, suddenly whipping her head around and staring coldly at Faramir. "I will not! You are not my captain, Faramir, I am not under your command, or your judgment." She walked towards him, her voice calm, yet seething with quiet anger. "You speak of honor, and duty, yet you have none! You risk the life of two, innocent Halflings, dragging them to the border of Mordor, burdened with the Enemy's weapon. That is the very place it needs to go to be destroyed, not used! But you do this why, to please your father? Someone who has never been pleased with you?" She grasped the sides of his face, looking pleadingly into his eyes. Her words were harsh, but they were truthful. "Come back to me, melmenya! My love, come back. Open your eyes to reality. The Ring can not save your city, it cannot save Gondor. It has only the power to destroy!"

Faramir pushed her hands away roughly, stately heinously at her. It was then that Gwen knew that her love was completely under the control of the Ring. It was then she realized the Ring's true power, being able to control a once-strong-willed man who was not even in its presence. The total desire to feel his father's praise, his love, was too strong and Sauron had taken advantage of it. Even his once light gray eyes had darkened.

Gwen stepped away, not recognizing the person in front of her. Tears began to fill her eyes and she realized that this was not her Faramir. This was a Man held within the grasp of Sauron.

"I don't even know you anymore," she said bitterly, struggling to keep her voice steady. "You can not see what the Ring has done to you. But I do. It has drawn you away from me. You are no longer mine. It has claimed you."

"You will come with me now," Faramir said lowly, dangerously.

"," Gwen refused in a deadly silent whisper, shaking her head and retreating back into the shadows.

It was then that Faramir made the poorest of choices when it came to words.

"If you do not come, then you are a traitor to the Steward, and Gondor," Faramir said, advancing towards her. "Your life will be forfeit."

"I follow my king," Gwen said met his stare, her sapphire eyes turning the color of the blue of a flame. "Not that man who claims to be king, sitting upon a throne that is not rightfully his." She stepped towards him, sizing him up with her eyes and staring at him defiantly, her head held high. "I will come, but not on your order. I go to fulfill my oath to the Ring bearer," she pointed to where Frodo had been lead away. "To protect him with my life."