Chapter II

A week had already gone by since Faerwyn's announcement. Much preparation had been put in to the advancing journey.

"I can't believe it," Gwen sighed as she sat outside her cottage, letting the evening breeze whip through her hair. It was her last night with Faerwyn at their secluded home.

Tomorrow, she would leave for Minas Tirith.

"Neither can I, my love." Faerwyn spoke softly, sitting next to her daughter, brushing the loose strands of hair from her eyes.

"it is not the way I pictured going," Gwen muttered, playing wtih the hem of her shirt sleeve.

Faerwyn sighed, shaking her head. "Give it a chance, Gwen. I'm sure you will come to love your life there."

Gwen suddenly turned to her. "Will I ever see you again?" She asked, a look of fear and anxiety suddenly crossing her face.

"Perhaps, if that is the way it is to be," Faerwyn said sadly.
Gwen looked at her in shock. No, this is not what she wanted. Not at all! Leave behind her mother? That was unacceptable.

"Y-you mean, I might not?" 

"You will be a lady of the court," Faerwyn stated. "Your duties will take you elsewhere. The wood will no longer be your home."

"This is why I do not want to be a lady!" Gwen yelled, tears filling up in her eyes, clouding her vision. "I do not want my freedom stripped from me!" She stood up, running into the house. She jumped onto her bed, curling up in a tight ball. The tears fell silently; there was no stopping them.

How could she have been so blind? So foolish? Her childhood wants had gotten in the way of reality. Now there was nothing she could do. She would be going to the city, but she would not be able to do what she wished. Instead, she was to be trapped. Tomorrow, her whole world as she knew it would disappear. For good.

Faerwyn came in shortly after. She stood above Gwen silently, deciding whether or not to beckon her. She decided not to, instead covering her with a wool blanket. A stray tear slipped out as she kissed Gwen tenderly on the forehead. "Sleep well, love."

~~~

The bird songs and the sun rays came all too quickly the next morning. Meredor was at their door at sunrise, ready to escort Gwen to her new home.

"Are you ready, m'lady?" He asked as Gwen joined him outside, dressed in her new traveling dress and cloak. 

She glanced at Faerwyn. "As ready as I'll ever be," she said. "Do you mind giving us a moment alone?"

Meredor bowed before strutting off to his horses.

Gwen turned towards her mother. "This is it, isn't it Mother?" she said, her voice cracking with sorrow. 

"So it is, my daughter," Faerwyn said as she stroked Gwen's cheek.

"I don't want this to be our final good bye," Gwen said, tearing starting to flow out of her eyes.

"This is not the final good bye. We will see each other again someday. I promise."

"Can you really promise that?" Gwen asked bitterly.

"I can. Whether in this world or the next, we will be reunited once more."

Gwen let out a sob, embracing Faerwyn. "Don't make me go," she cried, muffling her sobs in Faerwyn's shirt. "Don't let him take me. I don't want to leave you."

"This is your adventure, Gwen. You've dreamed of going off to the city. Would you really miss your chance just so that you can stay here with me?" Asked Faerwyn.

"In a heartbeat." 

Faerwyn gave her a motherly look. "Gwen, you have talked of nothing more than going to the city one day. Your chance has presented itself."

"I did not want to go for this reason, and you know it," Gwen said, not stopping all of the bitterness from being filtered from her voice. 

"Excuse me," Meredor interrupted gently. "But if we are to make it to Minas Tirith before sunset, we must be off."

"Go, my lovely," Faerwyn said. "Go and be joyful. This is a new chapter in your life. Live it. Love it. Always remember, I am right here."

Gwen placed her hand over her chest, covering her mother's. "I won't forget," she said softly, giving her one last hug and kiss before climbing up on to her horse.

Meredor nodded. "Good bye, lady Faerwyn. Wish us well."
With that, the two set off, galloping north towards the White City.

Suddenly, Gwen stopped, turning around. "What?" She called.

"Cenuvanyel rato!"

Gwen smiled. It was an Elvish phrase they had memorized. It meant 'I will see you soon.'

~~~

The sun was slowly descending over the mountains when the first glimpse of the White City came into view. 

"There it is, Gwen. Minas Tirith-" Meredor started.

"-The City of Kings," Gwen finished, excitement and anticipation starting to bubble in her. "It's even more beautiful than I imagined."

Meredor laughed. "Your expectations are low," he observed. "Wait until we reach the Citadel. Then you will know its beauty. The view, the color..."

"Meredor, do not spoil it for me!" Gwen scolded as she laughed.

"I will say no more," Meredor joined in on the laughter. "Come on, then. We are almost there. The lord Denethor is expecting you."

Gwen nodded, gulping nervously at the thought of presenting herself before the Steward of Gondor and his court.

Before long, the two approached the gate to the city. They reined their horses, and Meredor called out to the guard.

"Meredor, squire of Gondor, and the Lady Gwennan of the Southern Woods. We request admittance into the city."

"Ah, you're back, lad!" The friendly guard called out. "And this be your mystery girl, eh?"

Gwen blushed, hiding her face in her cloak.

The guard quickly opened the gate and the two trotted in, going all the way up to the top.

Seven levels later, the two made it to the Citadel. 

"You were right, Meredor," Gwen said as she looked around her. "It is truly magnificent up here."

Meredor smiled. "I know. Come, this way. We must get you cleaned up. Then it will be time."