Chapter VI

Two full days time had passed quickly. The days seemed to soar on by with the speed of an eagle, never once pausing to rest, never once stopping to catch its breath. Time was constantly moving in the White City, it seemed to Gwen, but these past couple of days seemed busier than most.

However, on the third day, the time that once seemed to fly suddenly came to a standstill. No movement, no rushing, and certainly no flying occurred. In Gwen's mind, it was as if Minas Tirith had become a ghost town over night.

"It seems time has traded in its eagles for snails," Gwen complained to Bronwethiel as she finished her account of the past three days.

Bronwethiel looked up from her sewing and smiled at Gwen, shaking her head in amusement. "The way you describe the world, my dear! It feels me with happiness. If only more people would see the world like you, child."

Gwen tilted her head at Bronwethiel indignantly. "I turn twenty-five years this summer. I am no a less a child than you are, Bronwethiel."

Bronwethiel eyes sparkled in amusement. "Yet, you will not find me traipsing about and not attending to my duties," she said with a small smirk.

Gwen, defeated, remained silent for a few moments, just staring at the face of the woman, whose lips slowing curled up into a smile, her mirthful laughter echoing throughout the rooms of her home.

"You are making fun of me!" Gwen exclaimed in disbelief. "The tables have turned," she said, impersonating the Steward when in court. "Look who is acting like a child now!" She pointed her finger accusingly at Bronwethiel.

"Alright, alright!" Bronwethiel said, raising her hands in mock defeat. "Forgive me, Gwen, you are correct."

"Thank you," Gwen said courteously. How she missed these lively discussions with her friend. Now that she was living in her own quarters in the Citadel, these types of conversations did not happen nearly as often as they used to. "Now that that is decided, I think it is time for me to take my leave." Her eyes trailed to the window, hoping to see the vibrant colors of the mountain sunset.

The sun was still high in the sky.

Bronwethiel followed her gaze. "Have patience, Gwen," she advised. "It will soon be time."

Gwen smiled half heartedly at her friend, the only one she had informed of what Faramir had promised. "He has given me no detail, I am afraid, as to what to expect, or when. In fact, I have hardly seen him these past three days. Do you think he has forgotten?"

Bronwethiel shook her head gravely. "He has not forgotten, Gwen. My lord Faramir is always true to his word. Have faith," she said with a wink.

"I know you are right," Gwen smiled.

'I just hope you are not mistaken.'

~~~

It was finally evening. Gwen was in her bedroom, slowly brushing her auburn curls. A frown of disappointment was plastered on her face.

He had forgotten. He had to have. He must have.

'After all, he is nobility,' that evil little voice in her head told her. 'Why would he want to spend time with you, a lowly handmaiden?'

'He didn't forget,' the optimistic voice argued. 'Perhaps something came up and he couldn't make it. Yes, that must be it.'

Gwen decided to listen to the latter voice. He was a lord after all, perhaps something did come up.

Satisfied she had defeated disappointment for the time being, she crawled into bed, burrowing herself in the warm blankets. She put a hand behind her head, closing her eyes as the cool breeze rustled through the door to her balcony. All was peaceful, and she quickly fell into slumber.